Is it ok to use sockets to exchange data between web application and windows application
if i used MSMQ is it true that application has to be running under microsoft system.
I want the web application to send message to windows application and gets the response back

thanks

Edited by yibrahim

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ketsuekiame

Is it ok to use sockets to exchange data between web application and windows application

Define "Web Application"

if i used MSMQ is it true that application has to be running under microsoft system.

Yes

I want the web application to send message to windows application and gets the response back

Without describing "web application" a bit more I don't know if you can even do this or not.
Web Application typically refers to a website written in a dynamic language, C#/ASP.NET, PHP, RoR etc...
in which case, no.

Do you mean a Web Service? If so, this is entirely possible, but everything should be client driven. The service shouldn't arbitrarily call out to presumed clients. This is Badâ„¢

It's an e-voting system , i want to exchange messages between servers. i want the voting server which is an asp.net application to send message to other windows applications and receive response. what is the best method to achieve this

Thanks for reply

Re-write; don't use ASP.NET for a server.

Switch to using WCF and call-backs. Use the service model to communicate between clients and service. You callbacks can be triggered by other clients. That's perfectly reasonable.

If your really must use ASP.NET, then I suggest posting on their forum as they will be able to help you better than I.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.