Hai All,
I have made a desktop application in Visual studio 2010( vb.net) with sql server 2008 as backend.I have made the setup of the project ,with sql database to be created using installer class and its all working well and fine. but i want to make my application in such a way that it has to be installed in client's computer , and make the application and database be accessible to all computers in that network.How can I do that and do i have to make my setup again to make the changes?
any helpful suggestions requested.
Thanks In Advance

It sounds like you need a server/client setup, or you could add a way for the user to configure the path to the database ( on the local network ) using a DNS name or IP. (Static IP will be necessary if you wish to do it only once)

For example:

1)Place a button for configuring the connection
2)Place a text box for the string
3)Save the new value to the project settings:

Private Sub btnConfigure_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles btnConfigure.Click
    'sServerString will be defined in the project Settings
    My.Settings.sServerString = txtConnectionString.Text
    My.Settings.Save()

'Now when creating your connection string, do something like this:

'Dim con As New OleDBConnection("Provider=SQLXMLOLEDB.4.0;Data Provider=SQLNCLI11;Data Source=" & My.Settings.sServerString & _
    ";Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;")
End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.