$ ./a.exe
1 10 4 5
10 1

Sample running, with A as 1 and D as 4:

$ ./a.exe
1 2 3 4
4 1

It works.

Damn. Battery is dead on that computer. I will have to wait a while.

This is similar to what I was doing, but not quite the same.

Now if this DOESN'T work for me after it just worked for you, then I have more serious problems!

But just for fun-- run it a few times with different combinations and see what happens.

But just for fun-- run it a few times with different combinations and see what happens.

There are only 4! permutations. It's trivial to test this algorithm rigorously by hand.

I have not tested yours on my computer because the battery is dead, but I printed it out to take a look.

The only real difference I can see is that you have defined your final min as

if (min1 < min2)
min = min1
else min = min 2

Mine was the opposite:

if (min1 > min2)
min = min2
else min = min1

..... but that's the same meaning.

Other than that, the only difference is that you went (at the end) min first, then max and I did Max first then min...

then there was also that you used the words "max" and "min", whereas I used X and Y.

.......... are any of these programming errors that would cause the program to malfunction and ocassionally fail with the minimum number?

No way to get it down to 4 "if"s.

You can as kvothetech said, but you have to introduce new variables.

min1 = smallest of A and B
max1 = largest of A and B

min2 = smallest of C and D
max2 = largest of C and D

min = smallest of min1 and min2

max = largest of max1 and max2

Each block above is one if/else

Code

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int i, a, b, c, d, w1, w2, l1, l2, x, y, arr[24][4];
    i = 0;
    //just to come up with permutations
    for(a=1;a<5;a++){
      for(b=1;b<5;b++){
        for(c=1;c<5;c++){
          for(d=1;d<5;d++){
            if(!(a==b || a==c || a==d || b==c || b==d || c==d)){
            arr[i][0]=a;
            arr[i][1]=b;
            arr[i][2]=c;
            arr[i][3]=d;
            i++;
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
    for(i=0;i<24;i++){
      //for each combination calculates max and min
      if(arr[i][0]>arr[i][1]){
        w1 = arr[i][0];
        l1 = arr[i][1];
      }
      else{
        w1 = arr[i][1];
        l1 = arr[i][0];
      }
      if(arr[i][2]>arr[i][3]){
        w2 = arr[i][2];
        l2 = arr[i][3];
      }
      else{
        w2 = arr[i][3];
        l2 = arr[i][2];
      }
      if(w1>w2)
        x = w1;
      else
        x = w2;
      if(l1<l2)
        y = l1;
      else
        y = l2;

printf("%d%d%d%d - %d %d\n", arr[i][0], arr[i][1], arr[i][2], arr[i][3], x, y);
    }
    system("PAUSE");    
    return 0;
}

Output

1234 - 4 1
1243 - 4 1
1324 - 4 1
1342 - 4 1
1423 - 4 1
1432 - 4 1
2134 - 4 1
2143 - 4 1
2314 - 4 1
2341 - 4 1
2413 - 4 1
2431 - 4 1
3124 - 4 1
3142 - 4 1
3214 - 4 1
3241 - 4 1
3412 - 4 1
3421 - 4 1
4123 - 4 1
4132 - 4 1
4213 - 4 1
4231 - 4 1
4312 - 4 1
4321 - 4 1

Well that's a nice complicated program that violates the premise of the assignments and the teacher would never believe is mine anyway........ : ) : )

Edited by cocopium

Nevermind the for loops. I was just showing you that kvothetech's solution works for all 24 combinations of 1, 2, 3 and 4. Since you asked...

I tried the standard 2 mins 2 max's, but it just isn't working for me (everyone else says it works for them-- but so far nobody has tested the exact same thing and can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that it works for the in all 4 number arangements).

Maybe I screwed up my defaults or something. I don't know. All I know at this point is that physics, calculus, and chemistry are much easier than computer programming!! : )

Well that's a nice complicated program that violates the premise of the assignments and the teacher would never believe is mine anyway........ : ) : )

Wow. When you described yourself as a "champion puzzle solver", clearly you didn't mean as a programmer. Otherwise you'd be able to see that scudzilla's code is a test framework wrapped around the same algorithm you've been claiming doesn't produce the correct result.

Oh, it's the same thing?? I couldn't tell. Sorry (computer idiot)

No, I can't see that. Prior to this class I have never interacted with a computer. I don't know what I did wrong, but I have rearranged that program in every different way and it just isn't working. I think I just must have screwed up something in the software (reset defaults??? I don't know)

No, I can't see that.

Write it out on paper.

Only one other thing remaining, show your code.

Edited by pritaeas

I did. Up above.
I wrote it out.

If you see what's wrong, please, by all means, enlighten me. Otherwise I give up. I have tried my best here, but logic skill alone can't make it work...... and I don't have computer skills.

If you scroll up you will see my code. I think I wrote the majority of it several times, but I know I wrote the whole thing out once.

oh-- but I didn't type out the comments, the introduction of variables, etc..... just the important part.

I did. Up above.
I wrote it out.

You posted pseudocode. Please post a complete C program that compiles and runs.

I can't copy and paste. It's on a different computer (my notebook that I don't even know how to use!!). There is no internet on that computer (haven't bought a wireless modem yet).

I can re-type it piece by piece, but that will take a while.

You'll find that we're very patient. But at this point, if the algorithm isn't working it's because something is wrong with your code.

Edited by deceptikon

Ok. I'm getting everything ready to start typing in a second. But it will take a while.

Oh no. I just typed up that entire code, then lost it trying to use the "inline code" thing here.

(any way to retrieve it?)
I don't have the will to type it all up again right now.

In any case-- you were right. There was something wrong with the code. I had forgotten to put { } around multiple choice "if"s.
Once I fixed that, it ran fine.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.