I am trying to download a zip file from a server using the following code but it gives me a tmp.zip of size 1kB. What is the mistake in this program?

try {
            URL url = new URL("http://www.nseindia.com/content/historical/DERIVATIVES/2013/JUN/fo18JUN2013bhav.csv.zip");
            HttpURLConnection connection = (HttpURLConnection) url.openConnection();
            connection.setRequestMethod("GET");
            InputStream in = connection.getInputStream();
            FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream("C://Temp/tmp.zip");
            copy(in, out, 1024);
            out.close();
        } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
            // TODO Auto-generated catch block
            e.printStackTrace();
        } catch (ProtocolException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        } catch (FileNotFoundException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        } catch (IOException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }     

}   

public static void copy(InputStream input, OutputStream output, int bufferSize) throws IOException {
        byte[] buf = new byte[bufferSize];
        int n = input.read(buf);
        while (n >= 0) {
          output.write(buf, 0, n);
          n = input.read(buf);
        }output.flush();
    }

Recommended Answers

Have you checked the file contents - eg is it an HTTP header or some such?

Jump to Post

OK, Ignore previous post. There's nothing wrong with your code AFAICT.
I ran your code with zero changes (copy/paste into a shell class is all), got a 294k zip file which when unzipped gave me a Excel file which when opened in Excel displayed a load of data I didn't …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

OK, Ignore previous post. There's nothing wrong with your code AFAICT.
I ran your code with zero changes (copy/paste into a shell class is all), got a 294k zip file which when unzipped gave me a Excel file which when opened in Excel displayed a load of data I didn't understand, but in an obviously reasonable format.
Over to you...

Does it refer to some technical keyword or just crude usage of English? Stupid question but still... :P

It's just a java file I have that has a few imports, a main method that calls a constructor... so I can drop in a piece of code like yours and execute it with minimum effort.

Got the problem... i needed a proxy to set proxy in my system and then use authenticator for the proxy... Thanks James for the feedback on correctness of the program...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.