How can i disable or hide mfc application taskbar icon?

seems like "ShowInTaskBar = false";

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You mean the icon in the taskbar when the application is running? Why would you even be concerned about that? An MFC application has a dialog or window that is visible to the user then why not the icon in the task bar?

OK, for the sake of answering the question, when creating your main window (with CreateWindowEx API and not with CreateWindow macro), include in the extended window style the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW. But you'll have title bar which is awkward for a main window. If you are using a dialog box as your main window, find in the dialog box's properties any property that corresponds to that extended style. In VC++ 6, it was a checkbox button in the extended window style page. In VC2010, it is a boolean property.

ITaskbarIcon interface give's you more control on what appears on the taskbar.

I use the following and link to "Shell32" and "Ole32":

#include <windows.h>
    #include <shobjidl.h>

const GUID CLSID_TaskbarList = {0x56FDF344, 0xFD6D, 0x11D0, {0x95, 0x8A, 0x00, 0x60, 0x97, 0xC9, 0xA0, 0x90}};
    const GUID IID_ITaskbarList = {0x56FDF342, 0xFD6D, 0x11D0, {0x95, 0x8A, 0x00, 0x60, 0x97, 0xC9, 0xA0, 0x90}};
    const GUID IID_ITaskbarList2 = {0x602D4995, 0xB13A, 0x429b, {0xA6, 0x6E, 0x19, 0x35, 0xE4, 0x4F, 0x43, 0x17}};
    const GUID IID_ITaskList3 = {0xEA1AFB91, 0x9E28, 0x4B86, {0x90, 0xE9, 0x9E, 0x9F, 0x8A, 0x5E, 0xEF, 0xAF}};

void ShowTaskbarIcon(HWND WindowHandle)
    {
        ITaskbarList* TaskListPtr;
        CoInitialize(nullptr);
        long Result = !CoCreateInstance(CLSID_TaskbarList, nullptr, CLSCTX_SERVER, IID_ITaskbarList, reinterpret_cast<void**>(&TaskListPtr));
        if (Result) TaskListPtr->AddTab(WindowHandle);
        TaskListPtr->Release();
        CoUninitialize();
    }

void HideTaskbarIcon(HWND WindowHandle)
    {
        ITaskbarList* TaskListPtr;
        CoInitialize(nullptr);
        long Result = !CoCreateInstance(CLSID_TaskbarList, nullptr, CLSCTX_SERVER, IID_ITaskbarList, reinterpret_cast<void**>(&TaskListPtr));
        if (Result) TaskListPtr->DeleteTab(WindowHandle);
        TaskListPtr->Release();
        CoUninitialize();
    }

Ugh! Got myself corrected by triumphost. I meant ITaskbarList. But I want to point two lines in your post that may cause an access violation error: These are on lines 16 and 26.

commented: Yeah forgot to put that in the if statement. Thanks :D +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.