HI,
I WANT TO PRINT THE ASCII OF THE FOLLOWING TEXT ÇÑÔÏ ÇäæÑ ÇÈÑÇåíã BUT ALL I GET IS
??????????????
I WILL BE GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

step one: press that shift lock key again. it'll make your posts seem less aggressive.
step two: show what you have done. what do you need help with? we can't look into your computer to see what code you're running, you know.

There is no ASCII code for any of those characters, which is why you get 63 ('?'). ASCII is a 7 bit code that just has the unaccented english characters and some punctuation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

That's why Java uses UNICODE.

these characters called extended ascii i have create a program that store arabic words in ms access database but instead of appering as arabic character they apper in this format ÇÑÔÏ ÇäæÑ ÇÈÑÇåíã so is there is a way to let these words appear again in arabic?

I'm sorry, I have zero experience of working in Arabic. Presumably it's a question of chosing the right Charset when converting between your Java Strings and the bytes stored in the database. Certainly the default Charset isn't going to work.
"Extended ASCII" is just a vague generic term for pretty much anything that adds characters above 0x7F. It's certainly not a unique set of encodings. You have to chose a Charset to specify excatly which encodings you want to use above 0x7F.

thanks for replay
the problem is that the information is too important so based on your experince is there is a way to convert it to arabic

Like I said, I have no experience with Arabic at all, but my best guess is that it will work if you chose the right Charset. Is this an existing database - in which case you need to find out what charset encoding it uses, or is this a database you are creating yourself - in which case UTF-8 may work?

what do you mean by chosing the write charset?? and how to choose the write charset??? i created the databse

That's "right" (ie correct) not "write" :)
If it's your database then you can try defining the database as using UTF-8 encoding, or maybe you will need to do that by adding it to the properties when initialising JDBC. I don't use Access, so I can't say for sure. You are at the limit of my knowledge, so maybe Google can help you with the next step?
J

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.