I am developing an application which I have added 2 combobox's (possibly not the best way but it works fine in the most part) which I import data into from a CSV file.
I have added code in so that users can add to this file, again this works fine. However I cannot get the "linked" combobox's to sort correctly.
Here is the code:

Dim WebLinks = (From line In IO.File.ReadAllLines("C:\Test\URLList.csv") _
Where line.Length > 0 _
Let Items = line.Split(","c) _
Select New With _
{.URLName = Items(0), _
.URLLoc = Items(1) _
} _
).ToList

For Each URLSCut In WebLinks
            Console.WriteLine("[{0} [{1}]", _
                              URLSCut.URLName, _
                              URLSCut.URLLoc _
                  )

Next

PageName.DataSource = WebLinks
        PageName.DisplayMember = "URLName"

WebAdd.DataSource = WebLinks
        WebAdd.DisplayMember = "URLLoc"

If I then set PageName (aka ComboBox1) to "Sorted = Yes" on the combobox itself the 2 fall out of sequence. I only want to sort on PageName / ComboBox1.

Is there any way I can get it to sort either on import or once imported? Because I want the list to appear alphabetically, but don't want to have to manually sort it.
I've tried using .Sorted etc, but they give various errors or are non-functional.

Any advice greatfully received.

Recommended Answers

If you use the OrderBy method right before you cast to list, your list can be sorted by the urlname. Something like this should do:

Where line.Length > 0 _
                    Select New With …
Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

If you use the OrderBy method right before you cast to list, your list can be sorted by the urlname. Something like this should do:

Where line.Length > 0 _
                    Select New With _
                    {.URLName = Items(0), _
                    .URLLoc = Items(1) _
                    } _
                    ).OrderBy(Function(x) x.URLName).ToList

To make sure it works I used a .csv file with sample data with this format: name,url. WebLinks ends up sorted by URLName.

I didn't realise this had posted when I reposted it, the answer has fixed the issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.