the basic idea is that i have a config file where i need to take entries in different formats(the key is always a string and the value could be any type: int, float, string etc) from and the file has the following style:

firstentry 1.5
secondentry 35
thirdentry somestring

and i have this code to try to read int values from the entries but it gives me a lot of errors:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <sstream>
#include <string>
#include <map>
#include <Windows.h>

using namespace std;

map<string, stringstream> entries;

int ReadInt(const string& key)
{
    int value;
    stringstream SS;
    for(auto i = entries.begin( ); i != entries.end( ); i++)
    {
        if(i->first == key)
        {
            SS = i->second;
            SS >> value;
            return value;
        }
    }
//  throw "Value not found";
    return 0;
}

int main( )
{
    ifstream file("abc.txt");
    string line, key;

while(getline(file, line))
    {
        cout << "reading line..." << endl;
        stringstream SS(line);
        SS >> key;
        entries[key] = SS;
    }

int x = ReadInt("firstentry");
    int y = ReadInt("secondentry");

cout << x << " " << y << endl;

system("pause");
    return 0;
}

errors:

1>------ Build started: Project: abc, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  main.cpp
1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\istream(860): error C2249: 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>::operator =' : no accessible path to private member declared in virtual base 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>'
1>          with
1>          [
1>              _Elem=char,
1>              _Traits=std::char_traits<char>
1>          ]
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\ios(177) : see declaration of 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>::operator ='
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits>::operator =(const std::basic_istream<_Elem,_Traits> &)'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\ostream(604): error C2249: 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>::operator =' : no accessible path to private member declared in virtual base 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\ios(177) : see declaration of 'std::basic_ios<_Elem,_Traits>::operator ='
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
1>          This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'std::basic_ostream<_Elem,_Traits> &std::basic_ostream<_Elem,_Traits>::operator =(const std::basic_ostream<_Elem,_Traits> &)'
1>          with
1>          [
1>          ]
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

anybody knows what's the problem? seems fine to me

nevermind i find a site with a full tutorial how to make a config file parser file. here is the source in case anybody wonders/wants it:
Click Here

The stringstream class has no copy assignment operator (and no copy constructor, but that's less relevant). Thus you can't write things like entries[key] = SS; or SS = i->second;.

You can make your code work by directly working with the objects in the map and avoiding any copies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.