Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Hi guys,

I'm a little bit confused to declare a certain variable.
I defined it under a button.It's in a do-while loop and it stores calculated values while other this are being executed.

And i wanted to extract that value using another button.I know i can use a function but is there a way that i can define the variable using a certain data type that stores the current value of that variable?

Here's the code anyway

cmd = New OleDbCommand("SELECT [sub_pay_item_quantity].[quantity],[sub_pay_item_unit_rate].[rate] FROM " &
                                   "[sub_pay_item_quantity],[sub_pay_item_unit_rate] WHERE [sub_pay_item_quantity].[sub item]=[sub_pay_item_unit_rate].[sub item] AND " &
                                   "[sub_pay_item_quantity].[sub item]='" & subItem & "' AND [sub_pay_item_quantity].[bridge type]='" & bridgeType & "' " &
                                   "AND [sub_pay_item_quantity].[span]='" & span & "'", conn)

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM sub_pay_item_quantity WHERE [sub item]='" & subItem & "' AND [bridge type]='" & bridgeType & "'" & _
                                    "AND [span]='" & span & "'", conn)

data_reader = cmd.ExecuteReader()
            data_reader1 = cmd1.ExecuteReader()

If data_reader.HasRows = True Then
                Do While data_reader.Read()
                    quantity = CDbl(data_reader.Item("quantity"))
                    rate = CDbl(data_reader.Item("rate"))
                    amount = (quantity * rate)
                    result += amount
                total = result
                MsgBox("Unit rate does not exist", vbCritical, "Bridge Construction Cost Estimate")
                Exit Sub
            End If
            If data_reader1.HasRows = True Then
                Do While data_reader1.Read()
                    payItem = CDbl(data_reader1.Item("pay item"))
                    subpayItem = CDbl(data_reader1.Item("sub pay item"))
                    unit = data_reader1.Item("unit")
            End If

:"total" is the name of the variable.

If you declare it at class level(outside any subs or functions), then any routine can access it.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.