Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Hi Guys

I need to create an SQL database for my work, and use visual c# to build the application. I work for a college and we have just opened up an IT support shop that is run by the students. They need a database created, but I am unsure where to start with the process.

I need a databse that will hold both the customer details and all the repair jobs related to that customer. Am i right in saying that i would need two tables. one for the the customer, giving them a reference number set as a primary key and the other table with the job details, with the repair number as a primary key (foregin key in customer data)

any advice where to start will be great. i understand this may be a long project but i have untill summer nexy year to get it done

Thanks

You'll need three at the minimum, five seems like a decent basic design.

CustomerDetails - Store the basic customer details.
Jobs - A record of each and every job undertaken.
CustomerJobs - A link between a customer and any job undertaken for that customer.

Optional:
JobStatus - Small definition table that gives the different states a job can be in.
Departments - A record of each department in the college. This will be linked from CustomerDetails. (This is better design that simply entering a text field)

What you need to remember when designing your database is not to over-fill tables with unnecessary information. Remember the responsibility principle used in Software Engineering as the same methodology can be used for database design.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.