Hi there
i want to know whats the difference b/w databanks like sql and our own text structure txt file that could easily store data even with less size than databanks. Of course i now sql is faster secure and much more but i can encrypt my data too and sort them for faster access.
the real question is i don't now witch one is better and my app at the highest level maybe store 1 or 2 gb (after years)
thanks for any reply

p.s: i hope this was not against the rules "can i trust to Crd version of sql server 2012?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Since you have free options of SQL Server, I see no reason to rely on Access databases. They're too restricted to be worth it most of the time.

p.s: i hope this was not against the rules "can i trust to Crd version of sql server 2012?

Discussion of cracked software (which is what I assume you mean with "Crd") is against the rules. And the answer to your question is no, you can't trust it.

Why would you even want a cracked version when you can get it free (Express version) from Microsoft?

what about storing data in a txt file with our own rules?

you

Why would you even want a cracked version when you can get it free (Express version) from Microsoft?

because the 2012 express eddition has 1gb limitation

what about storing data in a txt file with our own rules?

SQL is not the only kind of database -- in fact SQL can be very very slow when tables are large and using complex queries. Quite a few years ago I used Raima Database Manager, which, at that time, was not SQL. The advantage of RDM was that relationships were hardcoded at design time, so queries were very fast, several times faster than SQL databases. We didn't have huge multi-gigabyte files in those days so I don't know how it would perform in that situation.

You might want to do some evaluation yourself on what is better to use in your application -- you might be able to get fee evaluation version of RDM and an SQL database to test how they compare with plain-old-text files.

because the 2012 express edition has 1gb limitation

I do hope you meant 10Gb, as per the Microsoft Comparison Chart

I personally can't see what you would need more than 10Gb for on a personal/small commercial level.

MSSQL is no longer the behemoth it used to be and is actually very fast now.

MSSQL is no longer the behemoth it used to be and is actually very fast now.

I was referring to SQL-compliant databases in general, not a specific one.

thanks i think i have to test sql first for couple month and then decide
best regards

The good news is that your choice of database largely doesn't matter if it's compatible with ADO.NET. The Entity Framework has a database factory that will create the appropriate objects for you given a suitable connection string and provider in app.config/web.config. You can just write your code to manage a database, then switch between Access, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, etc... by changing a couple of configuration strings.

Hi, have you tried MySQL as its absolutely free and if I am not wrong it doesn't have such data limitations.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.