I have read pretty much about xml. I know that it is good to save data inside but i just can t get it why wouldn t I save my data into a .txt file once finished with my program tasks. Is it because xml offers a structural and more simple way of storing data (refering to the xml parent and child tags).I just can t see xml being a advanced technology for data saving and transportation. If you can give me a clearer view on xml because always when I investigate the net they always lack to provide an EXAMPLE WITH SOMETHING ELSE (for instance comparing xml with another technology).

Let's start with one quick clarification, XML is a text format. So technically you can save XML to a .txt file. ;)

I just can t see xml being a advanced technology for data saving and transportation.

That's because it's not. XML isn't the most human readable format out there, and it's very verbose. The cost of formatting versus actual data is high enough that you could describe XML as a wasteful text format.

On the other hand, XML is well known, very well supported by libraries and utilities, and an integral part of the .NET framework (think configuration files).

they always lack to provide an EXAMPLE WITH SOMETHING ELSE

I'm not sure why you would expect them to, unless they're arguing in favor of another format. In my experience, delimiter separated formats are the most common alternative to XML, but they tend to be less flexible.

commented: tnx. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.