I am a small business owner and I am trying to develope a way to keep track of my daily expenses and so on. What I have envisioned is a program that when it starts displays a screen that has you input a date, then a new screen will appear have the user input the money received. This process will continue until all required data has been entered in the each screen. After data is gathered the program will then print a "Daily Log form" and also save the created file. Can VB do this alone or will I need to utilize Access with VB. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am a small business owner and I am trying to develope a way to keep track of my daily expenses and so on. What I have envisioned is a program that when it starts displays a screen that has you input a date, then a new screen will appear have the user input the money received. This process will continue until all required data has been entered in the each screen. After data is gathered the program will then print a "Daily Log form" and also save the created file. Can VB do this alone or will I need to utilize Access with VB. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

It sounds like you really need a database, access would be fine for what youare taling about. You could store information in xml or text file, but database would be better to report on etc later on as you grow.

VB can handle it by itself.... and would be easier than learnng the SQL Query's required to generate the kind of data and report that you want to do.... I will say to each his own. How I would do it, is I would build a VB program to handle all the data until the report is generated.... after the daily report is done, THEN add the daily record into the access database for storage and easier retrieval later.

I don't know all of the data that you want to add, so I can't give you a best explaination, but from what you said, they input all the amounts recieved, and the vb program can simply tally that up, (and store all the data of the money recieved throughout the day in a temp file) at the end of the day, generate a report, and save it in access for storage. Let us know what you come up with though.

It's all a matter of the developers experience. Access is pretty easy to do it on, if you have Access and you need something Quick and Dirty, Access has a template for a Expense Database. Otherwise, yes, gather all the info, don't have to make the DB complicated (avoid relationing) and keep it simple where VB inputs into one table and one record.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.