Am about writing my final year project and my topic is student transcript generation system. The problem now is that I don't know how a transcript generation system works. someone please put me through on how to go about it using VB. NET.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried Googling some information first?

yes have done that but I need someone to put me through

No one is going to make your project for you. At least show us what you've got so far.

thanks for your time. am not saying anybody should build for me, all I want is somebody to tell what and what a transcript generation system should contain so I can how how to go about the project.

That's not how it works in the real world. You need to identify your requirements and then figure out how to translate that into a program. How does one do that? Here are some steps to get you started:

1. Get a copy of your transcript--so you know what one looks like
  2. Make an appointment with a few of your teachers. Tell them briefly about your project and ask them about the process they use to submit your grades. Ask him/her if there are any features that he/she would like that don't currently exist.
  3. Make an appointment with someone in the registrar's office, and find out as much as you can about the process they use to process student grades--you may need to meet with different people as they may do/use different parts. Take pictures or draw sketches of what you see. If a computer system already exists, you may be able to mimic what currently exists. If no computer system exists, document the current process--make sure to meet with multiple people to identify "best practices".
  4. Read a book on software engineering.
  5. Identify approximately how much data there will be. How does one do that? How many students are there at the university? Approximately how many classes does each student take each semester/quarter? Identify the best data structure to hold your data. In this case, it is probably a database. If we use a database, identify which database software can handle the amount of data that will be produced.

Note: Ensure your program provides user access that restricts access to the system. Each user should only have access to the information that is necessary to do his/her job--not to all of the information. Furthermore, if he/she leaves his/her job, access needs to be revoked.

alright thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.