I am attempting to add a Convert funtion to my XAML/C# application. However, the "value" object in the code below is presenting the data back as "2014-12-14", which is generating a runtime error, "Specified cast is not valid". Can anyone help me with the converstion string? I tried ParseExact, but with no success.

public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, CultureInfo culture)
        {
            try
            {
                DateTime date = (DateTime)value;
                return date.ToShortDateString();

}
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                return DateTimeOffset.MinValue;
            }

}

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and this was my solution

DateTime.ParseExact(value.Substring(0, 10), "dd/mm/yyyy", null).Date.ToShortDateString();

You should just have to change the format string ("dd/mm/yyyy") to "yyyy/mm/dd".

Hope this helps...

That's great thank you Chris. Unfortunately, it doesn't like the .Substring command.

Try value.ToString().Substring(0, 10). If the object passed in as value param isn't a string it won't work. What will you pass in as value param?

You might also need to change the string format to include - instead of /.

That did the trick - thank you Chris.

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

commented: Yes, great help! +15

Could you mark this thread as solved please? That way people with the same problem will know this thread may contain the solution they're looking for.

Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.