Hi DW

I have a Canon MP250 printer which can scan, copy, and print. I want to create my own ScanGear of a direct program to instruct the printer to print, and scan. I do have the disc that came with the printer but I just want to play around with it and like create my own app that will send printing commands to the printer and scanning commands to the printer to scan documents.

The main idea is not to use any of their software but be able to communicate with it and still do the printing, scanning functions as if I had installed their software's. I don't want to have their scangear on my laptop but rather create the program that will directly communicate with the device.

Anyone know how I can create this app or any link, documentation or anything that may point to the right direction with clues.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

As you may already know. Most Printers support the TWAIN interface. Most printers also support WIA.

This being said, you could use a TWAIN or WIA library to access your scanner (Pending drivers are installed).

See attached file for code for a scanning library! (Courtesy of Mkasoft)

Place the code in a codefile and compile it into a library, then add that library reference to your project.

To use the code, try:

Private sMyScanner As String = String.Empty

Private Sub btnSelectSource_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSelectSource.Click
    'Set the scan source for your scan.
    sMyScanner = TwainLib.GetScanSource
End Sub

Private Sub btnScan_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnScan.Click
    'Scan images from source and place the file path in a list of string for later access.
    Dim lstFiles As List(Of String) = TwainLib.ScanImages(".bmp", True, sMyScanner)
End Sub

look for an API to access their printer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.