As searching has returned very little, my question is simple yet seems to have a complicated explaination. How does one go about processing and sending aspx pages that don't have a physical location (i.e. the apsx page is built in a string or is an embedded resource) to the client? I've had a look at the SimpleWorkerRequest but the only thing I could find was that it needed a physical file to play with. I've also looked at HttpWorkerRequest which was suggested on a page I cant find that it doesnt need physical pages. Also browsed across AspNetServer by lcomplete but I found it hard to follow as half of it seems to be complletely unused, half the comments are in simplified chinese, and half english. If anyone could shed a little light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Smalls

Hi

Can I ask why you would want to do this? Can you not have a physical aspx page that can be rendered according to whatever needs you have. You obviously have some logic somewhere as you mention building a string, so could this logic be applied to rendering a physical aspx page?

I would like to embed the pages to keep file count down and also so they will be hidden. The mentioning of them being is a string was mainly for example as it would have to either be passed as a string or at least an object of some sort.

Hi

This smells bad. I mean that nicely in that it smells of a bad design. There are many ways to ensure that your pages are protected from unauthorised use (if that is your concern) and with a properly design and architected site your file count shouldn't be too large unless it is a huge web site.

What type of page would you be serving to the browser that you want to do this via a non physical aspx page? The more info you can give us the more we can either come up with a solution to your explicit question or think of a more suitable and best practice approach.

Well... it will be an application which will dl, install, and manage game servers via steam, have permission based user login, etc etc all through a hosted web interface

Hi

I'm not totally versed with steam but this doesn't sound like it is a huge site. Have you already got a site in development or are you exploring options at this stage?

Also, what level of programming are you at? I don't want to teach you to suck eggs if you already know a lot of stuff.

I know enough to get to where I want/need to be, but this one has me looking for answers

It is going to be a realtivley small site (10-15 pages I think). I've got a webserver made capable of serving aspx pages, I cant seem to find a way to render them from say a string or object instead of a file.

Edited by Smalls

In addition to routing to a single ASPX page you could also consider creating this using ASP.NET MVC. This would allow you to use controllers to return a string of HTML to a view meaning that you could have one view that multiple controllers (back end code) would then serve the HTML string to the single view. Admittedly, this is still a bad approach as your server side code would be building presentation code which breaks the "separation of concerns".

However, MVC also supports the passing of Models to a View. Models (classes) contain your data and the View can be strongly typed to a Model allowing you to build objects in your server side code and pass these to the View.

I'm just looking for a way to pass the file contents instead of the path to the file. Once I get this out of the way, everything else should be easy to do.

Also I know nothing of MVC...

Edited by Smalls

So if I understand correctly, you have a file on your sever (let's say a PDF file for example) and instead of the user of your site clicking a link that directly accesses that PDF file you want to stream it to them?

Will you know the path to that file from a code perspective?

Not quite... Something like a pdf can just be sent to the client. What I'm after is, instead of the aspx pages sitting in a directory on the server, have the aspx pages as embedded resources in the application itself. Sending embedded reosurces isnt a problem until its an aspx page. The problem I'm having is that SimpleWorkerRequest wont take anything but a physical address to the aspx file. I'm just trying to find a way to pass the file itself or its contents to the host to have it rendered to html so it can be sent.

Heres a slimmed down of what I have at the moment.

private static void StartServer()
{
    SimpleHost host = (SimpleHost)ApplicationHost.CreateApplicationHost(
        typeof(SimpleHost), "/", System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory());

HttpListener listener = new HttpListener();
    listener.Prefixes.Add("http://localhost:8080/");
    listener.Start();
    Console.WriteLine("Listening for requests");

while (true)
    {
        HttpListenerContext context = listener.GetContext();
        string page = context.Request.Url.LocalPath.Replace("/", "");
        Console.WriteLine(page);
        string query = context.Request.Url.Query.Replace("?", "");
        using (var writer = new StreamWriter(context.Response.OutputStream))
        {
            host.ProcessRequest(page, query, writer);
        }
        context.Response.Close();
    }
}

public class SimpleHost : MarshalByRefObject
{
    public void ProcessRequest(string page, string query, TextWriter writer)
    {
        SimpleWorkerRequest swr = new SimpleWorkerRequest(page, query, writer);
        HttpRuntime.ProcessRequest(swr);
    }
}

Can anyone give a rundown on how to get HostingEnvironment.RegisterVirtualPathProvider(new CustomVirtualPathProvider()); to work?
All I can get from it is 'operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.'

Edited by Smalls

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.