Hi guys,

I'm getting a simple error and I need your help. I want to display every object in a list by returning that object as a string but I'm getting the following error:

The name 'myBikeList' does not exist in the current context

My code:

List<Vehicle> myList;//= new List<Vehicle>();
        //METHOD
        public override string ToString()
        {
            foreach (Motorbike bike in myList)
            {
                string myBikeList = ("[MOTORBIKE]: " + bike.VehicleRegistration + " " + bike.EngineSize
                                + " " + bike.Make + " " + bike.Model + " " + bike.EngineSize + " "
                                + bike.TopSpeed + "\n");
            }
            return myBikeList;
        }

I am using inheritance if it makes it easier for you to figure out how to solve this problem.

Thanks guys

Joe

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi

The reason for the error "myBikeList does not exist in the current context" is a matter of scope. At the moment, you have declared the myBikeList variable within the foreach loop, once that loop is completed, the myBikeList variable will be out of scope so not available to code outside of that loop.

Also, even if it was available, with the current code, it would only contain the last vehicle details as you are creating a new string each time so destroying the previous one.

Finally, I notice that you are overriding the ToString method so am wondering if you are doing this within your Vehicle class or some other class. If it is some other class that takes a list of vehicles then fine, if it isn't though, then this may not be the right approach.

HTH

Well I have this now but it simply just returns the empty string? Any ideas?

{
    List<Vehicle> myList = new List<Vehicle>();
    string carList = "";

foreach (Motorbike bike in myList)
    {
        carList = carList + "[CAR]: " + bike.VehicleRegistration + " " + bike.EngineSize
                                + " " + bike.Make + " " + bike.Model + " " + bike.EngineSize + " "
                                + bike.TopSpeed + "\n";
    }
    return carList;// +"MOTORBIKE";
}

Where is this method located? Is it in the Vehicle class?

Have you tried putting a breakpoint on the foreach line and stepping through? My guess is that there is no data in the myList which looking at your code makes sense as you are not assigning anything to myList, you are just declaring it, so therefore it will be an empty list.

Can you post the full class that this method belongs too?

Hi Joe:
Without seeing the entire code, my first guess is that the "myBikeList" variable is out of scope. You might want to define it outside the foreach loop

Tekkno

Hi guys, got the solution. Here is the code. Silly me. Haha, thanks for the help.

Its not suppose to have the foreach loop and I can call to the base class in the deriving class with the base term and then just call the derived class's own property which is in this case this.Colour. Its working now.

{
    string carList = ("[CAR]: " + base.VehicleRegistration + " " + base.EngineNumber
                                + " " + base.Make + " " + base.Model + " " + base.EngineSize + " "
                                + this.Colour + "\n");

return carList;
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.