Ok, I've been trying different tutorials/methods of learning asm and right now I'm reading Dr. Paul Carters tutorial and using NASM and DJGPP to compile. I just got into the conditional/jump section and I wanted to test how the jumps work and ran into a problem. The read_char macro seems to never run and when I look into the registers EAX always has an ascii 'A' (linefeed) in it after the read_char is suppost to run. I can't even enter anything a 'y' or 'n'. I warn you I'm a beginner, and this is a corny test program.

%include "asm_io.inc"

segment .data
label1	db	"Enter your age: ", 0
label2	db	"Are your really ", 0
label3	db	" (y or n): ", 0
label4	db	"Wow, your old!", 0
label5	db	"Ok, sorry!", 0

segment .bss
age	resd 1
yorn	resd 1

segment .text
	global _asm_main
_asm_main:

enter 0,0
	pusha

mov eax, label1
	call print_string

call read_int

mov dword [age], eax

mov eax, label2
	call print_string

mov eax, dword [age]
	call print_int

mov eax, label3
	call print_string

mov eax, 0
	call read_char		; <-- will not get input

mov dword [yorn], eax	

cmp dword [yorn], 'y'
	jnz no

call print_nl
	mov eax, label4
	call print_string

popa
	mov eax, 0
	leave
	ret

no:
	call print_nl
	mov eax, label5
	call print_string

popa
	mov eax, 0
	leave
	ret

Any comments or suggestions on how I can make things easier or avoid problems are very welcome. This has been driving me nutts:mad:

Also, I have tried commenting every line before the read_char untill the first call print_string and when I get to the read_int line and comment it also, then it works.

Contributor
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by cozofdeath

Nevermind, this is solved. Dr. Carter and some very nice people on the alt.lang.asm group helped me out.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.