I have some source code done back when time first started and long before unicoding of a old gaming/chat system used mostly in 90s knowing to millons of young gamers as mplayer.com

now questions I have is the server side was coded for Solaris Sparc/Intel server core using Sun workshop 5 as c++ compiler and the client side was windows based using Visual C++ 4.2/6.0 am no export in c++ and I dont think I ever will be, but am just wondering would it be possible to convert the server side to a windows based system?

and would it be possible to say change the code to a newer visual c++ IDE, I know it would take along time in recoding but just wanted to know would it be possible and is there any programs out that that can help speed process up?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

am just wondering would it be possible to convert the server side to a windows based system?

Maybe. depends on if you used any OS-specific libraries. The networking code is most at risk, I think.

would it be possible to say change the code to a newer visual c++ IDE

Almost certainly. I'd definitely go for VS community edition, since it's free and all. Or if you want to avoid MS products, there's Code::Blocks or Cygwin+GCC,

It should be possible. It depends on how platform dependent the code bases are and how standard compliant the code is.

client source I feel would be easyest to convert as thats already a windows based source but the server on other hand was designed for Solaris 2.5 Sparc and Intel editions meaning sun library files for socket and other things that is were it will become more of a trouble the server core knowing as MCP is only designed for sparc architecture so may not even be possible to convert to intel/win32

c and c++ are farily frequently used together on the same projects, maintained by the same people. it is better to use c++ over c.

Sun OS is scalable for thousands of file sockets simultaneously opened. You are better off with the server being on Sun Sparc.
Windows could not hope to cope with that kind of work load. So why bother?

just want to bring the code into days world as I says in first post its very out dated and needs abit of work to bring into todays standards for coding also solaris is a nice OS but it was only made for Solaris 7 so would need to rebuild code for latest OS i guess.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.