So im doing an MMO, i was progressing alot, 6 months progrramming this thing.
The problem is that i was testing offline my game, today i have the brilliant idea to port foward my server and make it online, i knew it was gonna be slighty slower, but its awful! too much lag!!! the game is unplayable.
Im managing my packets like so....

Player wants to move up, client send movePacket to the server, the server recieve it, move the player in the server and send the new position to all clients...
Each time a monster move, the server send a the new position to all clients...

I thought i was over sending packets, but i test it just with the movement of the player... it seems to have a significant delay to recieve the packet and sending them to the client....

Im I doing this whole thing wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

what is the bandwith? how many clients are there? is it a dedicated or a shared server? tons of stuff that might cause tardiness.

what is the bandwith? how many clients are there? is it a dedicated or a shared server? tons of stuff that might cause tardiness.

Download speed: 19.48 Mbps
Upload speed: 0.76 Mbps
I tested just with one client.
What do you mean by dedicated or shared server?

Thanks!

Is it OK just on your LAN? If so, maybe you are using a dynamic DNS and that's a slow lookup???

If you ever start thinking about optimization, this paper seems to be a good (and quite easy) one to read. :)

Is it OK just on your LAN? If so, maybe you are using a dynamic DNS and that's a slow lookup???

No, its not okay, even on my LAN the game its rendered terrible. It is okay only when the server is offline. when the client comunicate tru IPv4 address(192.168.1.xxx).

Im not using any client-side Prediction though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.