Salutations! I am having a lot of trouble trying to create a program that will test the validity of a user entered password. Below is the criteria of the test:
1. The password must be 6 digits long entered as a single integer (assume no leading zeros are entered – for example: 002345 is only 4 digits for our purposes).
2. All the digits in the number have to be unique.
3. The sum of the digits must be a prime number.
4. The largest digit (n) “choose” the left-most digit (k) must be even—for example: in 645923, the largest digit is 9 and the left-most is 6.

I am trying to use digit extraction and integer devision to accomplish this but I do not understand it yet (im a student).
I believe I could use something like digit = (num % 10) num = num/10 at least for the first digit? Also I can compute basic "n choose k" situations by hand but I could use some guidence for coding.
* I am using CodeBlocks with the GNU Compiler and iostream library *
Any advice is appreciated!!
-A

Recommended Answers

Each test you listed might be a function. Since it's a string, you'll have fun with string functions too. Show some code and tell why you think it failed.

Jump to Post

One way is to create a function,that returns a boolean, for each validation step. If each step is true the password is valid. This way you can concecntrate on each step and get it right before moving on.

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Each test you listed might be a function. Since it's a string, you'll have fun with string functions too. Show some code and tell why you think it failed.

One way is to create a function,that returns a boolean, for each validation step. If each step is true the password is valid. This way you can concecntrate on each step and get it right before moving on.

i thought of the boolean route but i dont know how to implement it. I cant even get the Part 1 to work

Post your Part 1 code subroutine. Tell what you think is the matter. Avoid "it doesn't work."

i thought of the boolean route but i dont know how to implement it. I cant even get the Part 1 to work

Think about what are the biggest and smallest numbers that have six digits, all valid pass codes must be between these two values, right :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.