Hello all,

I've been programming in c++ for about 2 years now, but all my c++ applications are console driven. I would like to start using GUI's but in c++ it takes a lot of effort to build a GUI application (using API's), now my question; what programming language do you guys recommend for GUI applications that does not take a lot of effort?

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

As for inbuilt GUI support offered by the language, JAVA would be good option and in many ways its similar to C++. Using SWINGS in java is a piece of cake and you can get a host of tuts on the net for that.

Also Python can be used for creating GUI applications by using an extension libray like PyQT which is also used by famous companies like Disney and many others.

Or maybe you can wait for other replies regarding this thing.

Hope this helps.
Bye.

Regards,
~s.o.s~

I think it depends on the type of application. Java is similar to C++ in style, but you'll notice a speed difference on desktop apps right quick ;) I'd recommend going for .NET unless you're doing some huge applicaiton like photoshop or something.

I think it depends on the type of application. Java is similar to C++ in style, but you'll notice a speed difference on desktop apps right quick ;) I'd recommend going for .NET unless you're doing some huge applicaiton like photoshop or something.

Yes its true that the type of programming lang depends on the type of application to be built but developing doesnt require BIG BUCKS coz all the resources required for getting started with Java like the virtual machine, the editor, the tutorials are available in abundance on the net and that too for free.

I myself havent done development in .NET so i dont know a lot about it but the applications made in Java are cross platform compliant.

The original poster can also consider for going for Python since there are many GUI extension libraries available for free.

Hope this helps.
Bye.

If you're planning on making rather simple programs Visual Basic is nice too. Designing a gui is really easy and to put code "under" a button is really easy.

Still I always use C++, GUI of no GUI. Designing a gui may take a while, but IMHO it's worth the effort.

I never used Java though, so I have no idea if it's good or bad...

Greetz, Eddy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.