1. Your program should read the input files by using Unix shell redirection (e.g. a.out<lab1.dat) to read the input from
    stdin (C). By using redirection, it is unnecessary to open and close the input file, nor should your program prompt for a
    file name. You should dynamically allocate tables for storing the input and the table of links. Unlike the mergesort in
    Notes 1 and CLRS, the keys are never copied.
  2. The link values are not initialized before the recursive mergesort begins. Each link will be initialized to -1 when its
    sequence value is placed in a single-element list (at the bottom of the recursion’s “tree”).
  3. The input sequence array and the link array may be global. Under this assumption, the following prototype may be used:
    int mergeSort(int start,int count)
    where start is the first subscript for a subarray of count elements. The returned int is the subscript of the first
    element in the resulting sorted sublist. The last element in the sublist will have a link value of -1.
  4. The critical part of the code is a merge of two subarrays that previously had their link values set for ordered sublists. The
    merge will revise the link values to give a single ordered list.
  5. If an input value appears more than once, those elements should be ordered by subscripts in the final list, i.e. your sort
    code will be stable.
  6. Consider the following input file:
    The output will be:
    First element is at subscript 4
    0 3 5
    1 5 2
    2 6 3
    3 7 -1
    4 0 6
    5 4 1
    6 1 7
    7 2 0
    Notice that the input sequence ordering has not changed

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi i have done the program but i'm stuck at a point. I do need help.
Please let me know how it works.

Show us the code at the point you got stuck. Then we can help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.