I am becoming confused with visual studio v. Vb.net. I am findings hundreds of pieces of code tells me how to connect. Snippets elsewhere that tell me how to access data in the database I connected to. I am not finding snippets/examples that walk one thru connecting, adding, deleting etc. for that style of database access. I am running into this everywhere. When I try to patch a sample connection with another sample that works with the data, I get trouble really quick. Like I’m trying to put a Ford tire on a Schwin bicycle and I can’t find the schwin parts.

I am trying to create a database. I want to add records to it, delete records, and find records. Intent is for a simple stand-alone database with only and forever ONE user. This is a family tree software. I want to compile it for someone to use. I read that .mdf would be best because users would not need to add a MS Access driver/engine.

I will take anything at this point. Help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am trying to create a database. I want to add records to it, delete records, and find records.

That's pretty much what anyone who creates a database wants. Before you begin you must first decide what data you want to store and how you want to access it. And by that I mean what questions (queries) are you you going to ask the database? You should also have some idea about the size of the database. So let's start with getting answers to those questions before we go any farther.

Full disclosure, I did a fair bit of database work (mostly MSSQL) before I retired in 2008 and almost none since so I am more than a little rusty but I'll give you what help I can. Keep in mind that no matter how you do something, there is almost always a better way but you balance what is best with what is practical (and within your abilities) and what is maintainable.

a simple stand-alone database with only and forever ONE user. This is a family tree software

Are you sure that an SQL database is the bext way to go? You're going to have a lot of fun mapping between the user view of the tree and the SQL layer. It's not just the database API, its also going to be a non-trivial data schema.

MAYBE it would be better to model the family tree as a OO model, and simply use .NET serialisation to read/write it in its entirity to a simple file. Ie write the top-level object that represents the whole tree to the file on exit, or after major updates, and read it in at startup.

Just a thought...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.