Hello,

i need your help.

I need to make a program which will make sum of digits in number e.g. 123 is 6
BUT, the number could be very big like 1000 digits long or more.(e.g. 1 005 854 684......) - of course without spaces
So, i cannot use datatypes like unsigned long long int, because of it is not enough.
Well, my idea is to store a number into string, then i have to make calculations to make sum of digits.

So, my question is: Is it better to use string (char array) or Int array? Do i need to convert char array to some number only array?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended Answers

I'm going to jump to the end rather than spend time mucking about. Since you want this in C here's a tutorial to use Gnu MultiPrecision Library.

Or you could use char array …

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

Thank you for answer. It looks good, but prgram wil run on different machines. I cannot install aditional library to every machine.

I don't want to upset you but this library is a C library and compiled into the executable. All skill levels arrive here so take a moment to try the library and see what happens.

I solved it, thank you for help.

Herre is my peace of code:

// convert (char *)string to numbers and make sum of digits
 int len = strlen(string);
 int count = 0;
 for (int i = 0;i < len ;i++)
    {
        count = count + string[i] - '0';
    }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.