Hi guys,
I seem to have an issue with a boolean method returining a value. Here is the code excerpt - irrelevant code omitted:

public class StreamsTest {

public static void main(String[] args) {
        String[] arr = new String[]{"a", "b", "c"};         
        //convert array to string with streams
        List<String> list = Arrays.stream(arr).collect(Collectors.toList());        
        isElementInIt(list);   
    }

static boolean isElementInIt(List<String> list) {
        if(list.isEmpty()) {
            return false;
        }
        else {
            for (String string : list) {
                if (string.contains("a")) {
                    return true;
                }
                else {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }       
    }
}

STS says that the isElementInIt method should return a boolean value, but it's already doing that whatever happens, so I'm not too sure why the error. Any idea?
thanks

Recommended Answers

It's just the limited intelligence of the compiler. You and I can see that you always return a boolean, but the compiler sees that you may exit the for loop without returning a boolean. Just add a (dummy) return false; at the end and the cpmpiler will be happy.

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

It's just the limited intelligence of the compiler. You and I can see that you always return a boolean, but the compiler sees that you may exit the for loop without returning a boolean. Just add a (dummy) return false; at the end and the cpmpiler will be happy.

Right, lol. I find it a bit odd but yes, understood :-), thanks!

Sorry, but you do realize that that only investigates the first element in the list, right?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.