what unique characters are there in c?
So far, I've found these:
¦ ¯ • | ÷ ¶ £ ¢ € ¥ © ® ™ › » « ‹ ‰ % ˜ 8 §

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

These characters are usually in the charset your host provides and one can select other sets.
See https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_charset.asp for example charsets.

To get into this you would reveal the host OS, compiler in use, etc.

commented: Perfect link as there are tons and tons of them... +15

I don't understand what Alicia means by unique characters? What makes those characters unique? Are they reserved?

I kinda wondered. Every character is unique.

commented: All characters matter? +17

C is pretty married to ASCII but that leaves 128 more characters 128-255. ISO8859-1 assigns them to support Nordic/Germanic languages, often called LATIN-1. Even in the old days of 6 bit characters and BCDIC, what you printed depended on what roller was in the printer. Later, what belt, even with ASCII! Meanwhile, IBM spurned ASCII, went to EBCDIC, and even they had various code pages to assign glyphs to codes. JAVA went all unicode, and unicode/UTF-8 is ASCII up to 127, then goes on to support most popular languages and uses more characters, variable multiple characters in UTF-8. Even with unicode, the glyph you get these days depends on the font. Google up some wiki pages.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.