Hey,

I've recently started to learn Java with a little prior experince in C++. Only the basics.

I was just wondering if there any pointers for getting this language down. I'm talking about stuff that I won't pick up from some book or exercise. Something you've all come across in the learning process.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Java's a big ol language. There's so many things you can do with it.

There are no specific pointers. You learn them as you program and as you integrate with public forums such as these.

Java's got only one pointer you need to worry about, and that's the null pointer :)

Don't get trapped in learning a tool instead of learning the language (so don't start with heavyweight IDEs and stuff).
Don't get trapped into learning some external libraries before you know the language (we don't want kids who never programmed Java before asking questions about EJB, Servlet, Hibernate, Spring, Struts, etc. etc.).
Don't get sidetracked into thinking Java is just like C++ because of the similarities in syntax, it's not.

i have recently attended 2 courses in programming in J# and i was wondering if anyone with past experience could guid me in the right direction...'cos im confused, there's so much to learn...

Cheers,
lol_hacker101

commented: thread hijacker -3

you should start by not hijacking other peoples' threads.
Next you should continue by posting in the correct forum.

commented: Just trying to get some info ... +0

Hey,

I've recently started to learn Java with a little prior experince in C++. Only the basics.

I was just wondering if there any pointers for getting this language down. I'm talking about stuff that I won't pick up from some book or exercise. Something you've all come across in the learning process.

I think the first thing is learn the keywords, such as,

• int
  • float
  • double
  • long
  • null
  • String
  • static

There are several more keywords to learn.

After you learn them get to know what they do , their meaning, and how to implement them into your programming to get the desired results.

Also remember that Java is Object oriented and a case-sensitive language.

That is how I started anyway.

I'm just not sure which method of learning works best. The total excersise or just reading a bit, and playing with the code.

If you are just starting to learn Java try picking up the book "Fundamentals of Java by Lambert/Osborne" It starts out real simple and builds.

Also cheak out
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/index.html

And if you want a good program to code in try Eclipse

Well,
tj30, i can't download or run eclipse for some reason or another....and yes, i know it's great. my director specially recommended it.. and i know what it is and what it looks like...it's almost the only free J# publishing program, and the best, too.

lol_hacker101

Well,
tj30, i can't download or run eclipse for some reason or another....and yes, i know it's great. my director specially recommended it.. and i know what it is and what it looks like...it's almost the only free J# publishing program, and the best, too.

lol_hacker101

Well if you can't download eclipse try looking for help at there website http://www.eclipse.org/

nor through thread hijacking...

Hey everybody!
I am a beginner in Java and need help
Does anyone know how to build a trie structure from a matrix i want the code if it's possible
thx

commented: Another hijacking bonehead who never read any of the previous posts about hijacking -4

I think you missed one important part of the forum rules and specialy Seftware Development section, which says

Also, to keep DaniWeb a student-friendly place to learn, don't expect quick solutions to your homework. We'll help you get started and exchange algorithm ideas, but only if you show that you're willing to put in effort as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.