hi, first off I want to say that I was helped immensely by the other posts, especially the one where the one person was talking about classes. From veiwing his coding i was able to get my text adventure started. My basic questions are:

1) how do I learn the codes necessary to write a text adventure (I find very minimal help online because i use a very old I.E. on a win98 O.S. and my computer screws up sometimes before a page loads. I have the problem fixed mostly now, but feel the need to find help directed more towards what I want to create.
2)I know html, javascript, vbscript, and a little bit of perl. I already prefer Python because for some reason it lures me in, i am constantly bugged with the urge to create some really awesome program, something useful, interactive, something that looks, feels, and is cool.
So, i was hoping somebody would be kind enough to work kind of closely with me (you know, hold my hand: LOL)through the first bits of programming until i get the hang of it.

I am not looking for someone to tell me WHAT to write for my program, but someone to give me alittle bit of edge so i can figure it out and learn something.

If anyone would like to help me, (Python is frustrating the heck out of me but i'm addicted and i can't stop) my email is mruane@myway.com

thanks,
mat

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Take a look at the sticky above called "Starting Python". It does some hand holding. You learn Python best by writing code, simple at first then more complex. The idea of this forum is to ask questions when you need help. Start your thread with the proper title, this way others can read and learn too! Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere!

if you are stuck at something you can find inbuild help in python and you dont have to be online for this.

help()
this will open some kind of help interface

help(<something>) eg help(list)
shows all the methods and functions of list
kind of man page

if you want a GUI representation of this
pydoc -p <some free port number>
you will get a link.
copy and paste the link in the browser.
this is the most easiest way

Thanks. I have a little bit of it figured out. My game currently consists of the elsewhere suggested 3x3 map. My commands work, and all, no fighting or monsters yet. My biggest problem is I got the codes to work and i don't know why they work. I feel that if i had a better understanding of why the statements do what they do, I would be able to apply them better to suit my needs. I don't fully understand cases, fucntions, defining, variables, ect. I learn best by actually doing something and seeing what results. But, all of the site i see just show me the same thing, 'hello world' and how to make python solve mathematical equations. I don't see the relevance or any way to apply it. Basically, i want to program for a living. I learned HTML but found it useless for what i wanted. Thanks for all the help though, I didn't expect such fast replies, if any at all. Sorry for any spelling errors. I am still waking up.

Thanks. I have a little bit of it figured out. My game currently consists of the elsewhere suggested 3x3 map. My commands work, and all, no fighting or monsters yet. My biggest problem is I got the codes to work and i don't know why they work. I feel that if i had a better understanding of why the statements do what they do, I would be able to apply them better to suit my needs. I don't fully understand cases, fucntions, defining, variables, ect. I learn best by actually doing something and seeing what results. But, all of the site i see just show me the same thing, 'hello world' and how to make python solve mathematical equations. I don't see the relevance or any way to apply it. Basically, i want to program for a living. I learned HTML but found it useless for what i wanted. Thanks for all the help though, I didn't expect such fast replies, if any at all. Sorry for any spelling errors. I am still waking up.

hi...

visit the site http://python.org where you can see real time application of python. This site is by PSF. Where python is being used. on what all fields Python can be applied.

cheers,
kath.

hey, i am actually figuring things out slowly. Still don't understand the why's, but I know the what's. I have a question though, I plan to make my game long, and try to distribute it. How would I make it so they can save their progress. And if I wanted to use graphics in the game, however simple, how would i do that?

You could save important details of player (player, hitpoints, treasures, weapons etc.) to a file before you exit the game. Now you have to also write your code to accept any saved game as option when you start.

Tkinter that comes with Python allows graphics, another one is PIL also PyGame. Those are freee downloads.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.