I was given an unused copy of Visual Basic 4 as a gift. Is it possible to upgrade this to Visual Basic 6? I've already searced MicrosSoft's web site, but I couldn't find any info about this.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

no its not sorry
4 is way too old (i think its 16 bit actually!!1) as 5 came out in 1996

no its not sorry

No, Win95/VB4 was 32 bit.

Win3.1 was 16 bit and was essentially a DOS program rather than an O/S.

I doubt you can get an upgrade at this date but you can ask.

no its not sorry

Thanks. The version I have has an option for 32 bit. I'm hoping to use it to learn the basics of VB, so that I can become more proficient in VBA with Excel and Word. Do you think I can use VB4 for this purpose?

No, Win95/VB4 was 32 bit.

Win3.1 was 16 bit and was essentially a DOS program rather than an O/S.

I doubt you can get an upgrade at this date but you can ask.

Thanks. I have the version that allows you to choose 32 bit. I'm hoping to use it to learn VB so that I can learn to use VBA in Excel and Word. Do you think I can do this with VB4?

I'm hoping to use it to learn VB so that I can learn to use VBA in Excel and Word. Do you think I can do this with VB4?

I think you'd be better off just learning VBA if that's your main goal. Look for a VBA tutorial and start there.

the actual core code (the way you do loops, iteration statements and set properties and functions etc....) is the same in VB4 as it is in VBA, only real differences are in advanced stuff like databases, api programming etc..

Thanks for your help. I'll go ahead with a tutorial.

Hello, I have an old program that was compiled using vb4 16 bit and am looking to get the source files recompiled on vb4 32 bit. Any help would be very helpfull.

bocean@eastlink.ca

Thanks in advance
Sunburn

It should still work. The code shouldnt be too different.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.