I have recently began programming in the windows api rather than the command prompt\ms-dos environment.
I am still using windows 98 and bloodshed dev-cpp 4.9.9.2.
I need to know how to disable the START MENU, TASK BAR, and the little boxes in the top right hand corner of the application {Minimize, Restore, Maximize, and Close (1 at a time)} I also need to know how to make a password box rather than meere text\edit, how to set up tabs, how to center objects\elements(Buttons,text,checkboxes...) I will also need to know how to make my app fullscreen, but still have a title bar.
Another problem i have is comparing strings\character arrays...I have to compare the one char. at a time
Example:

//includes

char Compare1[] = "Yellow house";
char Compare2[13];

//Still having trouble with cin.get

//This is what I want to do
cin >> Compare2 //Type "Yellow house"
if (Compare1 == Compare2)
{
   cout << "Compare1 == Compare2";
}
else
{
   cout << "Compare1 != Compare2";
}
//End of what I have to do

//Even when I type the text exactly the same it still says it isn't the 
//same... I know that the above cin would more than likely skip the
//spaces\white space, but even when the string has no white spaces it 
//still does it.

//This is what I have to do
if (Compare1[0] == Compare2[0])
{
  if (Compare1[1] == Compare2[1])
  {
    if (Compare1[2] == Compare2[2])
    {
      //and so on until all characters are compared
    }
  }
}

//The above is actually being done in a windows api program with text
//boxes and buttons, but that file was much to unorganized to put here

I appreciate any answers to any or all of my questions...Constructive criticism welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Before you jump into windows programming with both feet, you should read this intoductory tutorial.

As well as this ;)
and this, the Keep It Organized section at least.

>>if (Compare1 == Compare2)

you can not compare C character arrays like that. All that is doing is comparing two addresses, not the strings. use strcmp() for that

if( strcmp(Compare1, Compar2) == 0)
{
   // the two strings are the same
}

I had downloaded that tutorial as I was typing my question.

I am sorry for my mistake...I had no idea I HAD to encase the code in tags...I thought it was optional.

I am sorry for my mistake...I had no idea I HAD to encase the code in tags...I thought it was optional.

It is optional, DaniWeb does not enforce that rule, but moderators do. -- If you don't follow the rules then you will greatly decrease the probability that anyone will take you very seriously and answer the question. Many people see unformatted code and just ignore the whole thread.

I have looked and looked for a good tutorial covering c++ api programming and the only downloadable one that is even remotely close (Yet still so far away) to what I am looking for is the one by theForger...If anyone can recommend a good tutorial that is for both experienced and very inexperienced programmers, I would be very grateful!

No one has even said ANYTHING about disabling the start menu...In the mean time I have found out how to not allow a user to click it, but they can still use the windows key (on the keyboard to access it...I have already been accused of trying to make viruses on other sites, but I am actually trying to lock my computer from unwanted access (little brothers, sisters) So if anyone could tell me how to do it that would be wonderful.

No one has even said ANYTHING about disabling the start menu...In the mean time I have found out how to not allow a user to click it, but they can still use the windows key (on the keyboard to access it...I have already been accused of trying to make viruses on other sites, but I am actually trying to lock my computer from unwanted access (little brothers, sisters) So if anyone could tell me how to do it that would be wonderful.

The first place to begin your research is at Microsoft. There appears to be several threads about that.

You could set up a user password and log off the user when you don't want them to use the computer. That's why the OS has been designed with users. ;)

You could set up a user password and log off the user when you don't want them to use the computer. That's why the OS has been designed with users. ;)

I'm not an idiot...Just learning, and this is a project that I decided could help train me, because it uses a wide variety of commands and things (What are these 'things' actually called?) such as file I\O functions and a lot of api programming all of which I have never really used before.Also, your idea would fail because (since I am stuck with windows 98) you can simply delete the username.pwl file.

you probably can not do what you whish in Win98. But look at the resource kit. to see if it has tools to help you achieve your goal. If not, then you are SOL.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.