hi, this is a simple program but i have no idea what the args.length is for.

class PrintArgs {

public static void main (String[] args) {
    for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++) { 
      System.out.println(args[i]);
    }

}

}

i added a few more lines(below) to the code to try to make sense of it but i keep getting "There are 0(zero) command line arguments"

here's the modified version

class PrintArgs 
{

public static void main (String[] args) 
  {

for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++) 
     { 
      System.out.println(args[i]);
    }

System.out.print("There are ");
    System.out.print(args.length); 
    System.out.print(" command line arguments");
    System.out.println();
  }

}

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by masijade

args.length is the length of the array of commandline arguments.
If you don't pass any arguments that length will be 0 ;)

Votes + Comments
This was helpful. I couldn't figure out what a commandline argument was. Thanks a ton.

As mentioned before, the args.length value is the number of items in the args array.

If you pass no command-line arguments, you will always get "There are 0 command line arguments".

But try running the program like this: java PrintArgs hello my name is mikki2 The words after java PrintArgs are called command line arguments because they are arguments passed to your program from the command line.

Thanks guys!...and as usual...lightning fast answers! (just took a while for me to reply is all)

An instance variable of Class Array (which is the class behind all arrays). It is an int.

Edit: And, as noted, it represents the length of the array, and since arrays are 0-indexed, the last index of the array is length - 1, of course.

Edited by masijade: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.