Hi,

I just came across this list of some of the popular applications on the market today which were developed using the C++ language.

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html

I am sure that programmers who love this language would be happy to know about this. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would also like to see a similar list which tells you who a particular application widely used by people worldwide was developed using a certain programming language. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

some programs were written with more than one language. Now emerging are .NET programs which may be a combination of c++, VB and C#.

the most widely used application written (largely) in C++ is Windows XP.

[edit]Oops! sorry, I didn't mean to edit your post.

the most widely used application written (largely) in C++ is Windows XP.

None of the MS-Windows win32 api was written in c++. But some of the other programs and make up the OS may have been, I don't know.

None of the MS-Windows win32 api was written in c++. But some of the other programs and make up the OS may have been, I don't know.

*Ahem*

Literally everything at Microsoft is built using various flavors of Visual C++ - mostly 6.0 and 7.0 but we do have a few holdouts still using 5.0 :-( and some products like Windows XP use more recent builds of the compiler. The list would include major products like:

• Windows XP
  • Windows NT (NT4 and 2000)
  • Windows 9x (95, 98, Me)

*Ahem*

The quote means that Microsoft used their own compiler to create the os (of course they didn't use Borland's compiler) . win32 api was written in C, not C++. Could not be c++ because c++ can not be called by other languages. Of course the internals of those functions could have been written in any language, but what I have seen of those functions they were not.

The quote was taken from an article where Bjarne quoted the places where C++ was used, so he obviously must have meant C++ when he said Visual C++.

Also you can call C++ code from other langauges by writing wrapper functions in C, that is how it is usually done.

>>so he obviously must have meant C++ when he said Visual C++.

I disagree. He was talking about the compiler, not the language. You don't build a program with a computer language, but with a compiler. Such an educated person would not write such an ambiguous sentence.
>>everything at Microsoft is built using ...

The win32 api functions are what is called from DLLs and application programs. They may well be wrappers for some c++ code but that is all internal to the api and not normally accessible outside the api.

What I meant was that since these names were written on the page titled "Softwares made in C++" , he must have obvioulsy implied that C++ was used to make WinXP.

What I meant was that since these names were written on the page titled "Softwares made in C++" , he must have obvioulsy implied that C++ was used to make WinXP.

Since there are many more parts to the OS than the win32 api that makes a lot of sense. :)

Some of the public APIs are legacy APIs written using C. Most modern ones are C++ (or a mix of C++ and C).
A lot of the internals is likely C++ as well by now.

Some of the public APIs are legacy APIs written using C. Most modern ones are C++ (or a mix of C++ and C)..

That simply is not possible because other languages can not call c++ functions due to function mangling, c++ classes etc. Here I am talking about win32 api functions only. As I've stated twice before these functions might be wrappers for some c++ code, but that is wholely internal to them. The functions could be calling cobol and aida code for all we know and care.

If you write a c++ function and surround it with "external C" the function becomes a C function, not c++.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.