ok, i really want to learn how to use c++, but i can't find a site
to download it from!!
so if yall can be kind enough to list some sites that would be awsome!!
:lol:

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I recommend that you get the dev c++ bloodshed IDE and then go to devpaks.org and download allegro to get into "cool" graphical programming. Command prompt stuff does not impress friends very much...

Command prompt stuff does not impress friends very much...

No it doesn't, but it's the best way to learn. You must learn to walk before trying to run. Starting off with console apps is easy and educational, and then once you've got the hang of it, you can decide what type of C++ programming you want to get in to.

Also, some people discourage the use of Dev-C++ because although it's a very good compiler, development has basically stopped, so if you want a compiler that will stay up-to-date, I would recommend going with Code::Blocks (not that Dev-C++ is outdated now, but it will be in the future if development continues at this rate).

No it doesn't, but it's the best way to learn. You must learn to walk before trying to run. Starting off with console apps is easy and educational, and then once you've got the hang of it, you can decide what type of C++ programming you want to get in to.

Also, some people discourage the use of Dev-C++ because although it's a very good compiler, development has basically stopped, so if you want a compiler that will stay up-to-date, I would recommend going with Code::Blocks (not that Dev-C++ is outdated now, but it will be in the future if development continues at this rate).

I concur in that console programming is where a newbie should start if obliged to learn writing programs in C\C++. But consider how he asked if he could download C++...? One might be compelled to interpret that he is not familiar with programming in general in which case I'd suggest start by learning the concepts of programming. C\C++ are relatively difficult languages to start learning for a newbie, especially ones that don't have any prior knowledge of programming. For a newbie, I'd recommend learning Perl, Visual Basic or Java to start out with then work your way up.

If not here is a well known link to a website containing material for C\C++: http://www.cprogramming.com

Post Script: I also agree that Code::Blocks is a great C++ IDE. So many sharp minds out there, astonished I have become. I'm not Yoda.

Good luck, LamaBot

I would recommend going with Code::Blocks

I've see a lot of mention of this compiler here, but I don't remember anyone posting a link. Wouldn't that be a good idea when it's recommended?

I've see a lot of mention of this compiler here, but I don't remember anyone posting a link. Wouldn't that be a good idea when it's recommended?

Please look closer: :eek:

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads.shtml

I said

I don't remember anyone posting a link.

:confused:

And my main point was

Wouldn't that be a good idea when it's recommended?

:rolleyes:
This way someone that wants to download it can...

I said: I don't remember anyone posting a link.

I know, Korsakoff sux. :)

Am I missing your point completely? ~s.o.s~ posted the link in the second post, should the site be linked in every post that's about code::blocks then?

The download links for both the free compilers is posted in the sticky "Starting C". Maybe I should have being more concise and posted the link to the sticky rather than posting the download link....

Sorry, I just don't always start with post#1 when I come into a discussion. I start where I left off.

The download links for both the free compilers is posted in the sticky "Starting C". Maybe I should have being more concise and posted the link to the sticky rather than posting the download link....

Or we can have 1 sticky post listing ALL the possible links to useful compilers (leaving Digital Mars out!). Mods can (I hope) edit the post to keep it up to date.

Not many compilers out there to create a seperate thread for them, methinks. If we want, we can always post in the sticky the recent or the compilers other than the default two mentioned...

Hehe, it's amazing what happens when I'm sleeping.

Now I've just started a flame war by neglecting a hyperlink in my post. :D

Although seriously, do we really need a list of "good" compilers? Any newbie with Google can find them, and although it might be a bit more work it's certainly not hard to use Google.

The first post in the sticky 'starting c' allready has the link to code::blocks in it, so I also don't think it's necessary to make a new sticky.

umm
i downloaded a pretty good c++ called
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
it works fine its free and is fast(i guess..)

umm
i downloaded a pretty good c++ called
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
it works fine its free and is fast(i guess..)

It's decent, although many beginners find that the interface offered by Visual Studio is too complex, and prefer a simpler environment such as Code::Blocks or Dev-C++. A bonus about all these IDEs/compilers: programs created with them can be used for commercial use. (Even Visual Studio Express.)

Well this works perfectly fine and is easy to learn!:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.