Lately i've been having some problems, importing an SDL library, into my compiler, and as a result of that i have chosen to change to a new compiler. I have followed 3 differend online tutorials, re-installed the compiler three times, and done it with three different downloads of the SDL library, so i'm sure it's not just some weird mistake. I keep getting the following errors:
multiple definition of `main'
first defined here
.drectve `/DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" /DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" /DEFAULTLIB:"MSVCRT" /DEFAULTLIB:"OLDNAMES" ' unrecognized
[Linker error] undefined reference to `_alloca_probe'
[Linker error] undefined reference to `SDL_main'
ld returned 1 exit status
C:\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win [Build Error] [Nuskaldetvirke.exe] Error 1
The [Linker error] undefined reference to `SDL_main' errer, however i know how to remove...
I get all these errors without no source code! :S
So, as i said, i'm thinking of changing compiler, because i simply don't tihnk this compielr works with Vista or something... because all three times it has been the same result, and all the times i have used a new: Tutorial, in how to import the SDL library, new installation of the compiler and new download of the library.
And i haven't "cross used" them, so it should be pretty clear that none of those are the problems.
If any1 have a suggestion on how to correct the errors, please tell me.
Otherwise, could any1 suggest a free c++ compiler, that works fine on vista.

>>could any1 suggest a free c++ compiler, that works fine on vista.
VC++ 2005 Express and Dev-C++ are just two of them. Borland ++ probably also works but I have not tried it.

As for your problem what compiler(s) have you tried. If its pretty current (not ancient Turbo C) then I doubt the problem is your compiler but the way you have it set up. Post a link to where you got that library and post your program.

Well I'm pretty certain your problem is the way you have your environment set up because I downloaded and installed the SDL lib source, sompiled it, then ran one of the tutorials I found here. I used VC++ 2005 Express compiler with the Windows SDK and DirectX SDK installed.

Kk dragon, thx. I will try your mwthod as well.
I was using dev-c++ before. But the reason i don't tihnk it had a wrong setup is, as i said, i followed three different tutorials, and had the same result (The same errors) each time :S

But... it could be a wrong setup, because i'm new and don't know anything about importing libraries :S

Are Windows SDK and DirectX SDK installed necessary, for both VC++ and dev-c++?

Are Windows SDK and DirectX SDK installed necessary, for both VC++ and dev-c++?

For VC++ 2005 Express yes, don't know about DEV-C++. After you have downloaded and installed them you have to configure the compiler's IDE with the paths to the include and lib directories.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.