A container that holds 50 distinct integers has two ends: top and bottom. When an input integer matches one of the integers in the container, it is then moved to the top, and all the integers above the matched integer are moved down to fill the gap in the container (keeping the same order). When none of the integers in the container matches the input value, the bottom integer is discarded, the remaining integers are moved down to fill the gap (keeping the same order), and the input integer is inserted on top.
Write a C++ program to implement the above problem. Fill the initial container with distinct random integers in the range 0 to 99. Prompt the user to enter an integer, output the updated container. Repeat until the user enters a (any) negative value.

I got to generating the different numbers and output them but I don't know how to input an integer and compare it to those numbers.
If anyone has an idea let me know thanks.

Here is my code and the ouput:

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
        int number;
        srand((unsigned)time(0));
        int random_integer;
                for(int index=0; index<50; index++)
                {
                random_integer =(rand()%99)+0;
                cout << random_integer << endl;
                }
        cout<< " Enter a number between 0 & 99: ";
        cin>>number;
}

output:

Enter a number between 0 & 99:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Create an Array of 50 integers. Write a simple function to seach the inputted integer in the array. If the integer is found in the array return the index of that integer in that array. If integer is not found in the array just return -1 from that function.

Now you have got the index of the number. Write another function to swap the elements in the same array from 0 to the index you have found. Supply the array and the index to that function to swap the elemets.

If the element is not found in the array just supply the array and 49 to that function. It will swap all the elements in the array except the first element. And assing the inputted element to

Array[0] = element;

You aren't storing the random numbers in a container, which is basically the idea behind this project. How else is the program supposed to know afterwards which numbers were generated?

As for moving the integers around - make a copy of the integer you plan to move once you've found it, and then simply copy all the nodes over one, and then you'll have an empty space at the end at which to insert your original node.

Consider something like this for moving a node to the top(pseudocode):

find integer (array)
copy integer to temp variable
for i = (position of node) to 1
   copy i node to i-1 node
end for

Hope that made sense.

edit: too slow

You aren't storing the random numbers in a container, which is basically the idea behind this project. How else is the program supposed to know afterwards which numbers were generated?

As for moving the integers around - make a copy of the integer you plan to move once you've found it, and then simply copy all the nodes over one, and then you'll have an empty space at the end at which to insert your original node.

Consider something like this for moving a node to the top(pseudocode):

find integer (array)
copy integer to temp variable
for i = (position of node) to 1
   copy i node to i-1 node
end for

Hope that made sense.

edit: too slow

How do you store 50 generated numbers in an array?

How do you store 50 generated numbers in an array?

I'm in a good mood today, so here's some free code for you:

int array[50];
for (int iCount = 0; iCount < 50; iCount++)
{
    array[iCount] = rand()%99;
}

regards Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.