I was wondering if it is possible to make a gui program in C++ without
a toolkit, and if so are there any tutorials or books that I can read:?:

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

"Without a toolkit"? Sure, but you'd be writing a lot of platform-specific code. You could use regular old Windows programming. You could use the Gnome or KDE libraries.

What operating system are you using? Why don't you want to use a toolkit?

The answer to your first question is I mainly use linux.
The next is realy stupid! I watch a movie were the IT programmed pong from scratch. No toolkit , no pictures just code. This inspired me and made me curious.

The IT did not use C++ or she would still be working on it!

The IT did not use C++ or she would still be working on it!

:lol:

What toolkit would you recommend with Visual Studio 2005?

>What toolkit would you recommend with Visual Studio 2005?

.NET if speed and portability isn't an issue, and you want to create interfaces using drag-and-drop technology.

A good portable toolkit is wxWidgets, which allows you to create interfaces using the platform's native interface code. It actually looks quite good.

What do you think of Krypton?

The answer to your first question is I mainly use linux.
The next is realy stupid! I watch a movie were the IT programmed pong from scratch. No toolkit , no pictures just code. This inspired me and made me curious.

I wish programming was like in films. I would love to be able to hack high security government systems in 60 seconds and save the world with a few keystrokes. And those 3D holographic UIs would be ace. :)

cant you just use windows.h and do old school win32 gui apps? mfc even?

cant you just use windows.h and do old school win32 gui apps? mfc even?

Our friend is on a Linux machine.

ah ok, never done GUI apps in linux..

I guess its GTK or QT

Our friend is on a Linux machine.

What's confusing me is this:

What toolkit would you recommend with Visual Studio 2005?

As far as I know, Visual Studio hasn't been ported to Linux, nor will it be likely to be ported ever.

So which platform are you trying to program on, then?

yeah i would like to point out now that nothing you make in .NET will run on linux easialy if at all

yeah i would like to point out now that nothing you make in .NET will run on linux easialy if at all

There is an open source project called MONO that allows .NET stuff to be run on the Linux operating system. I think the name MONO came from the effort to break the attempted MicroSoft monopoly.

For linux GUI programming, I recommend Qt. It's a clean and feature-complete API... and if you ever want to get your application running on windows, there is a qt-free edition for win32 too (although it's not officially supported by trolltech, and you must distribute your source code along with the app, in order to comply with the license)

wxWidgets seems ok too, but i'm not sure it has a GUI designer as top notch as Qt. A bit higher level, there is kdevelop... that would manage a Qt project easily, no need to mess up with makefiles.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.