Hi,

I have visual studio 2005 C++ Express Edition Installed. The instructions I have to create a library file are as follows:

1. Create a project
2. Add Header Files to the project
3. Change the Configuration Type on the Properties Menu to Static Library (lib)
4. Still in the property window, click Library, then General, then change the output file to prj1.lib
5. Build the library

My question is this: the project builds, but I can't find the prj1.lib file anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Elise

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

you have to add a function or class *.c or *.cpp to the library before the compiler will create the .lib file. Just putting the *.h in the project is not sufficient -- there must be some executable code. And you will find the .lib file in <project name/debug or <project name>/release directory.

you have to add a function or class *.c or *.cpp to the library before the compiler will create the .lib file. Just putting the *.h in the project is not sufficient -- there must be some executable code. And you will find the .lib file in <project name/debug or <project name>/release directory.

Thanks so much..I forgot to add the api files. Elise

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.