I'm fairly new to .NET programming.

The DateTimePicker control seems to be a great solution for entering valid dates without alot of backend checking and preventing the user from entering a bad date. However it seems like I always have to explain to my testers that they don't have to use the drop down box to scroll back 15 years. After I show them they can type they love it. Especially seeing what "day of the week" events take place.

Is this control the best way to handle birthdates, anniversaries, etc?

Contributors
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ravalon

I'm fairly new to .NET programming.

The DateTimePicker control seems to be a great solution for entering valid dates without alot of backend checking and preventing the user from entering a bad date. However it seems like I always have to explain to my testers that they don't have to use the drop down box to scroll back 15 years. After I show them they can type they love it. Especially seeing what "day of the week" events take place.

Is this control the best way to handle birthdates, anniversaries, etc?

I usually end up using a masked text box or text box for dates. The validation code can be packaged up into a nice reusable class, and my users don't have as much usability trouble. There's also consistency with my data grids. I wrote some date time picker column types and they really destroy the speed of workflow, so I use text box columns or masked text box columns there too. :)

But that's me. The DateTimePicker control is great when people know how to use it and it's placed carefully. Just like every other control. ;)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.