I have a complicated problem at hand, and im open to any suggestions for solving it.

Im working with a program called Psi which is written in C and has the GUI in Tcl/tk. A guy working on this earlier added 2 functions to get and set some properties of the program [in C]. The functions are straightforward.

I built the executable in Cygwin.

Now i need to extract values from these function using Python. I thought of using SWIG to generate the wrapper code. I would need these values at run-time. what are my options for this.

Would i need to link the additional files with the existing files, and build the executable again? the swig tutorial for windows said that i would need to build a dll to be used with the .py file, so that it can use the additional functions, written in C.

I experimented with swig, and for simple examples [standalone programs] it worked fine . Now i need to do this on windows, and ive never worked with dlls before. I have a vague idea abt what to do but im not sure of it. So could someone please help me out with some suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here is some information. For more info you can google for your question. Writing a dll is just too complicated to fully explain here. Read some of the google links.

How to interface a DLL with python is probably best to post in the phthon board.

Thanks for the links... ill post this on the python board for dll interface issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.