okay so the problem is:

I need to develop a program that determines whether a department store customer has eceeded credit limit on charge account. for each customer, the following facts are available:

- accunt number
Balance at the beg. of the month
total of all items charged by this customer this month
-titak of all credits applied to this customer's account this month
-allowed credit limit

the program should input account number as an Integer, but use Double for the other variables. the program should calculate the new balance (= beggining balance + charges - credit), display the new balance and determine whether is exceeds the customer's credit limit. for customers whose credit limit is exceeded, the program should display the message, " credit limit exceeded. use a sentinal value of -1 for the acount number to terminate repetition.

Okay, here is what i have.. now it runs but i dont have a sentinal value and i dont think i did the problem correctly

Sub Main()
Dim accountNumber As Integer
Dim begBal As Double = 1000
Dim totCharges As Double
Dim newbal As Double
Dim credits As Double = 700

Console.Write("Hello. please enter account number:" & vbCrLf)
accountNumber = Console.ReadLine()
Console.Write(" Beginig balance is: 1000" & vbCrLf)
Console.WriteLine(" Please enter credit amount:" & vbCrLf)
credits = Console.ReadLine()

If credits <= 700 Then ' is charges are smaller than the allowed credit amount then subtract
credits -= 700
Console.WriteLine(" Amount after charge is " & credits)
ElseIf credits > 700 Then ' else if charges exceed the allowed credit amount than do not operate, write "exceed'"
Console.WriteLine(" Credit limit exceeded")
End If

newbal = begBal + totCharges - credits
Console.Write(" new balance is " & newbal & vbCrLf)

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!??

where does the -1 come in? Don't you need a for loop ?

yeah i do need a loop, so it should really be a dountil? but how can i have a dountil if i need an if then type statement right?

You use the -1 as a condition to bail out of the loop i.e

While (input <> -1 ) Then
'promt user for input
total = total + input
End While

Display total

The best thing for you would be to draw a flow chart. It will help you visualise what is going on and help you code a solution.

Thats the problem i am not sure really what the program is suppose to be doing, does the user input their account and the credit amount?? im really lost in this easy problem

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.