What do you think is better for making applications?

I like QT API verry much, but I dont know how compatible is with a system .

I dont like VC++ because I can only use it on windows.

Please help me to decide..

What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

>I like QT API verry much, but I dont know how compatible is with a system .
It's as compatible as systems are running Linux.

>I dont like VC++ because I can only use it on windows.
Welcome to the world of GUI programming.

If you write native GUI code for an operating system, it is nearly always unportable and you would have to rewrite it for every platform. The only other alternative is to use a portable API wrapper such as wxWidgets. It's not as good as a natively-written GUI, but it gets very close.

So that means I should use QT in Linux and VC++ in windows......lame

Your question is meaningless.

One is an application framework, and the other is a compiler.

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/notes/compilers
You use VC++ to compile your QT application on a windows platform
You use GCC to compile your QT application on a Linux platform.

umm...actualy when I said VC++ I was talkinag about WIN API.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

What are you asking for?

What is the best cross platform SDK for designing GUIs?

No I was asking which API is better for making GUI apps. QT or WINAPI

No I was asking which API is better for making GUI apps. QT or WINAPI

Qt is a cross-platform GUI library that makes it easy to create X applications with standard GUI elements (widgets) like menubars, scollbars, dropdown lists, checkboxes, buttons, multiple document interface, and many other GUI things. Using Qt, a program can be compiled for both MS Windows and X without changing any code. Its a very popular GUI library and is used to create the core libraries of KDE (http://www.kde.org/).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32

thanks I alredy know that. I learn QT for 2 months now, I just wanted to know what is better, because some people said that QT sucks and WINAPI is "great".

Well Qt is realy cool, I can say that because of my last app made using QT...
Only what I dont like is no money for licence...

Yeah but you can't use win32 api for linux. You know that don't you? That's why I asked, about cross platform functionality.

I know that. I love Linux, but everyone in Slovenia uses windows...so I tought I should use WINAPI which is win compatible....

So are you saying you want to write programs exclusively for windows now?

No, I will continue learning QT and writing apps for Linux.

I will also take a look on WINAPI tutorial...

In Rome, do the way Romans do...

If someone wants you to do a project in WinAPI, you got no choice but to do in WinAPI or leave the project. It all depends on the client requirement because its the business requirement which drives the software development arena.

It is actually a good thing to have different proficiencies under your belt. The more the better...

umm...actualy when I said VC++ I was talkinag about WIN API.

QT in windows also uses win api... you propable meant MFC or WinForms{for the .Net environment}

In Rome, do the way Romans do...

If someone wants you to do a project in WinAPI, you got no choice but to do in WinAPI or leave the project. It all depends on the client requirement because its the business requirement which drives the software development arena.

It is actually a good thing to have different proficiencies under your belt. The more the better...

ha...Dont worry

I make a project on my own ( I just have some people for documentation and graphics) so I am able to choose whatever API I want.

Well I wanna learn WIN API too, because the windows programmers are wanted here..

Good, then go for WinAPI.

A good starting place would be this and the MSDN if you get stuck.

Thank you sos...

You are welcome. :D

Thread solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.