OK I am wondering Can you make a variable hold an operator.
Such as say +, -, / etc...

And if so can that variable be used to replace an operator in an equation?

for instance

char a = "+";
int b = (2 a 3);

thoguh that doesn't work itself i think it conveys what i am looking for.

you can use it in a switch statement

int b = 1;
int c = 2;
int d = 0;
switch(a)
{
   case '+':  d = b * c; break;
   case '-':   d = b - c; break;
   case '/':   d = b / c; break;
  // etc
}

OK I am wondering Can you make a variable hold an operator.
Such as say +, -, / etc...

And if so can that variable be used to replace an operator in an equation?

for instance

char a = "+";
int b = (2 a 3);

thoguh that doesn't work itself i think it conveys what i am looking for.

You can do this to have the same effect:

#define a +

int b = (2 a 3);

But 'a' is not really a variable here.
And I see no reason why you would want to do that...

You can do this to have the same effect:

#define a +

int b = (2 a 3);

But 'a' is not really a variable here.
And I see no reason why you would want to do that...

You might want to do something like that when writing a calculator. for example, if you enter "2 * 3" then your program needs to figure out what to do.

You might want to do something like that when writing a calculator. for example, if you enter "2 * 3" then your program needs to figure out what to do.

That is pretty much my reasoning is calculations with the equation from an outside source. I did think of using switches/loops/etc... but they are all rather convoluted ways to do something that would be so simple. Man the more i am learning of C++ the more glaring flaws i am seeing.

Are there any compliers with additions that will fix some things, simple things like length_of(Array), treat_as_value(char). So many things that would make the programing both easier and less taxxing on memory and processor time. And if it was compiled to exe it should retain portability or am i missing something?

I don't know if not is there a langauge I should try that doesn't have such drastic oversights?

Are there any compliers with additions that will fix some things, simple things like length_of(Array), treat_as_value(char).

Not in C or C++ languages.

So many things that would make the programing both easier and less taxxing on memory and processor time. And if it was compiled to exe it should retain portability or am i missing something?

C/C++ is probably the least taxing of all computer languages except assembly and machine code. Other languages, such as basic, let you do some things a lot easier but the executable programs are generally larger and slower.

If you want to get reall deep into parsing equations then try YACC (Yet Another Compiler Compiler)

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.