hi everyone! i've been trying to make a program regarding returning the number of characters with even ASCII codes. For example, if a user input ABCDE, the output should be 2 since B and D are of even ASCII codes.
Here's what i've done so far...

#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

int CountEvenASCII(char []);

void main()
{
    char words[100],i,out;
    clrscr();
    for(i=0;i<100;i++);{
    printf("Enter a word: ");
    scanf("%c",&words[i]);}
    atoi(&words[i]);}
    printf("ASCII equivalent: %d",words[i]);
    out=CountEvenASCII(words);
    printf("\nNumber of characters with even ASCII codes: %d", out);
    getch();
}

int CountEvenASCII(char str[])
{
    int even_count=0,i;

if(str[0]!=NULL){
        if(str[i]%2==0){
        even_count++;
   CountEvenASCII(&str[1]);
    }

return even_count;
}

my problem is it can only return the ASCII equivalent of the first character. For example, if i try to input ABCDE.. the output is 65 instead of 65 66 67..... And also, even if A's ASCII equivalent is an odd number, the program still counts it as an even.. Any idea what I can do about this? Any help with be very much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

scanf("%c",&words[i]);}
    atoi(&words[i]);}

above is useless. just input the text as normal characters. You don't have to do any conversion at all to get the ascii value of the characters -- data type char already contains the ascii value. To see if its odd or even

// get string from keyboard
fgets(words,sizeof(words),stdin);
//
for(int i = 0; words[i]; i++)
{
   if( (words[i] % 2) == 0)
   {
       // even ascii code
   }
}

I see Ancient Dragon has typed faster than I and with a more precise version of what to do. As a learning experience here's a sampling of ideas I have about your code:

1) use int main(), not void main()
2) i should be an int, not a char
2) if you use a for loop, don't place a semicolon after the ) and before the { in the for loop declaration. It prevents the body of the for loop from being used if you put it there.
3) when using statements requiring braces format your code such that you line up the braces so it's easier to make sure you have matching numbers of opening and closing braces. You appear to have 1 too many closing curly brace in the code you posted.
4) if you're going to use scanf(), and for beginners it's okay, though it's not the best way to obtain input, then read in an entire string with use of %s, words instead of %c, &words. This will prevent the need the for loop you have in the first place. See Ancient Dragon's solution for a better way to get input.
5) if you are going to use atoi(), you really should use the return value of atoi() in some way; but you shouldn't use it here at all
6) don't use recursion until you are familiar with it unless you absolutely have to. In this case, within CountEvenASCII() you'd be better off using a loop to look at every char in the string sent to the function. See Ancient Dragon's solution.
7) As a beginning programmer you should make your intentions absolutely clear, so I'd cast the char to type int before calling the modulo operator on it. When you get more experience, like Ancient Dragon, and think int every time you see math operators used on char types, then you probably don't need to write the cast.

All of the above are issues commonly seen in code written by beginners, and more frequently than I like to think, in code I write still.

commented: nice explaination +13

I see Ancient Dragon has typed faster than I and with a more precise version of what to do. As a learning experience here's a sampling of ideas I have about your code:

1) use int main(), not void main()

Yes, see this

3) when using statements requiring braces format your code such that you line up the braces so it's easier to make sure you have matching numbers of opening and closing braces. You appear to have 1 too many closing curly brace in the code you posted.

Yes, see this

4) if you're going to use scanf(), and for beginners it's okay, though it's not the best way to obtain input, then read in an entire string with use of %s, words instead of %c, &words.

No, see this and this. Recommending scanf("%s"...) is the same as recommending gets()

All of the above are issues commonly seen in code written by beginners, and more frequently than I like to think, in code I write still.

Hmmmm.... :D

hi! thanks a lot for the help regarding the program as well as ideas... helped a lot.. have the program working now.....
i've seen what i was doing wrong a while ago.. took me time to understand, but i learned.. thanks agen!!!!

scanf("%c",&words[i]);}
    atoi(&words[i]);}

above is useless. just input the text as normal characters. You don't have to do any conversion at all to get the ascii value of the characters -- data type char already contains the ascii value. To see if its odd or even

//
{
   if( (words[i] % 2) == 0)
   {
       // even ascii code
   }
}

The code you have given where should that be put?

The code you have given where should that be put?

Do you really want me to tell you where to put it?? :)

Do you really want me to tell you where to put it?? :)

Yes, just PM the codes cause i really don't understand where to put the codes..

you are not making any sense. Where to put what??

scanf("%c",&words[i]);}
    atoi(&words[i]);}

//
{
   if( (words[i] % 2) == 0)
   {
       // even ascii code
   }
}

I mean this code above.where should this code be put in "zaacze" given code

I would not use that code because it has other issues as well. Write your own program to avoid having to debug other people's code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.