I have written my first perl script but something is wrong. When i try to run it direct it just open up notepad with my script in it. when i open from the web it comes back 404 page not found. It is a form script on a webpage.
Could someone please help me?

Many Thanks:(

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

what does "try to run it direct" mean? Do you have perl installed on your computer? You can't run perl scripts without perl. If you are trying to run a local perl script from your browser you will also need an http server installed, setup, and running.

I have written my first perl script but something is wrong. When i try to run it direct it just open up notepad with my script in it. when i open from the web it comes back 404 page not found. It is a form script on a webpage.
Could someone please help me?

Many Thanks:(

It seems you attempting to exeucte your Perl Process from an Windows enviornment. I am not a Win32 Guru, but looks like, you do not have Perl loaded on your PC. I myself am a UNIX guy, so this may/may not help. Check and see if you have it loaded first...!!!!

Member Avatar for tenaciousC

Mon amie, if kxh29 is right and you're trying to run perl scripts in windows environment without a perl version for windows then all you have to do is download "Active Perl".
You can do that from www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl
I suggest downloading MSI package for windows. After you download and install active perl, open ms-dos to run your script. In order to do that you have to type: perl c:\blahblah\blah.txt since you write your scripts using notepad (the path defines the exact location of your script).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.