> Well, lots of people say that C/C++ is more useful. That's why I am learning.
All languages are useful in real world. Think of them as tools for achieving a given task. Want to do embedded programming, dig up on C. Need quick GUI's, look up Python, Java, C#, VB .NET and the likes. Interested in AI development, look up Lisp. Interested in the field of Mathematics, learn up Haskell.

Knowing a host of languages is what differentiates a programmer from a good programmer, though the language with which you start is an important decision.

Python, Perl, Java are the few languages which are known to be good language for beginners.

I would not recommend java! Its syntax is much like c++ except that it is slow. heres a good quote:

Java is a high performance language, by high performance we mean adequate, by adequate we mean slow

How bout lisp? It will impress people.....

Not to mention it would blow away the brains of a first timer... ;-) Writing the whole code in Cambridge prefix notation is not a pretty sight. I still vote for Python or Java.

... I still vote for Python or Java.

glad to note that you dropped perl from the list. a 'write once, read never' language is probably not good for anyone.
smalltalk would rank very high among good languages for beginners; it is arguably the best language for beginners.

Not to mention it would blow away the brains of a first timer... ;-) Writing the whole code in Cambridge prefix notation is not a pretty sight.

Aww...I think lisp is the most beautiful language ever made.

Well, it's true that every programming languages are useful. But many people always say that C/C++ is more common and more like "multi-functioned", something like it gives access to most parts of the computer. My friend who is studying in NUS (National University of Singapore) also suggested to me to learn Java first and he also said that there'll be some problems if I'm starting with C++ but he said that if I want to learn C++ first wouldn't be imposible, what I mean is he said that I must really put effort on it if starting with C++. Do you all have any other opinion for this?

C++ is not a good option to start with. Like I said in my previous posts, Python and Java would be better choices. Plus you have got nothing to lose since both of them are mainstream, commercially hyped and used languages.

Well, if I wanna change to learn Java, what should I know first? And which tutorial's the best?

You need to get your hands on J2SDK (preferably 1.5 or 1.6) and a decent text editor which provides at least auto indentation and syntax highlighting.

Get the latest SDK here. For a decent text editor you can see this and this.

You can get the Sun Tutorials here.

Thanks ya!

Do you have compiler for Java? I mean a good one (easy to use, easy to install, freeware).

The links I posted in my previous post are for downloading a free compiler. You need to install the JDK on your machine to run Java programs.

Okay. Thanks!

Java and Python are much alike, they both compile to virtual machine code (byte code) and then interpret this code to the specific CPU machine code.

Java uses pretty much the same ugly syntax that C++ uses, so there isn't much gain there. Daniweb does have a Python forum, look there and in the Python code snippets to get a taste of the language. All those programmers at Google do have a successful reason for using Python.

Python is a high level language, but can easily include C or C++ code for low level stuff or performance boosts if needed.

C# is a fine language, but a little too wordy for my taste, it will wear out your typing fingers! Also, like Java, it is hung up on OOP only, whereas Python or C++ give you a choice. Look at the C# snippets on Daniweb to see what I mean.

Thanks!

Can someone post the specific video tutorials URLs for

- C++
- C#
- J#

from http://msdn.com/ ?
Cause I'm having some problems finding them.
Thanks

I like qt which is a C++ GUI class libarary. Qt's assistant may be a good tutorial for you!
Good luck!

Can someone post the specific video tutorials URLs for

- C++
- C#
- J#

from http://msdn.com/ ?
Cause I'm having some problems finding them.
Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.