Hi everyone...
I need to build a file browser for a wireless multimedia device for a Windows PC. The objective is to be able to browse contents of the device. The device defines its own protocols for communication. I have divided the whole project into two modules: the browser and the communication layer.

I'm pretty experienced in C/C++, but I'm new to Java. Can you please tell me if it is possible to build the communication layer using Java?( I think I have to build a device driver).

And if I build the browser using Java and the communication layer using C, can the two be interfaced properly?

Thanks in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Communication Layer using Java is not a good idea. Here you have to actually write code in C (if you are actually writing device driver) and defining the functions prototype in Java. (Using JNI). So your both browser and communication layer will be in java. But there wil be performance issues.

The second choice is much better. You can write the communication layer in C easily and browser can rely on that. For interfacing between two, you can use JNI also.

Ok, thanks. That was helpful [:)]

I have just started learning Java. But it seems that there is a lot in conjunction with core java. Should I continue or leave my classes in between as I don't think I will be able to learn hell lot of Java things in 6 months time?

I have just started learning Java. But it seems that there is a lot in conjunction with core java. Should I continue or leave my classes in between as I don't think I will be able to learn hell lot of Java things in 6 months time?

No buddy, not here... Looks like you're new to this... Create a new thread for your question. Don't reply to an existing thread and ask a question there.

And here I was anticipating a reply:icon_frown:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.