Hi all... I have a problem with constructor overloading in VB.NET and, I know how to solve it, but want to know the best way to do it... so here is the problem.
I have two manually created constructors in a class, like this...

Public Sub New(param1 As String)
End Sub

Public Sub New(param1 As String, param2 as String)
Me.New(param1)
End Sub

and everything goes fine... until I try to do error catching like this

Public Sub New(param1 As String)
Try
Catch ex As Exception
Throw New Exception(...)
End Try
End Sub

Try
Me.New(param1)
Catch ex As Exception
Throw New Exception (...)
End Try
End Sub

then, it says that, for the constructor with 2 parameters, the call to the other constructor has to be the first instruction to call... but that's not possible if I want to catch the errors produced by the first constructor (if I move the Me.New(param1) outside the Try then every error thrown by the first constructor will not be catched.
I know that if I create a function (for example _New()) and overload this one, then, from the constructors I can just call the function and everything is solved (no Me.New() called), but I don't know if this is the correct way to go.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english (Im spanish)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Me.New(param1)
Try
Catch ex As Exception
End Try
End Sub

i think this will be enough , since the code of Me.New(param1) will be executed first , so u will catch the errors produced by the first constructor , right ?

Me.New(param1)
Try
Catch ex As Exception
End Try
End Sub

i think this will be enough , since the code of Me.New(param1) will be executed first , so u will catch the errors produced by the first constructor , right ?

But, if the first constructor throws the exception, as the second has called Me.New(param1) outside the Try Catch Finally structure, the code crashes (the second constructor can't catch the exception produced by the first constructor called)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.