I am trying to write a simple Lisp function for my Articficial Intelligence class and am running into a problem. The compiler is seeing the line [inline] format t "Enter a number, press return and enter another number"[/inline] as a an error. It is the placement of the line of code that is causing this error because if I move it, it will display but, I need it to start the function. I am sure it is something simple that I am missing. Please help:)

(defun adder()((format t "Enter a number, press return and enter another number")(setq numberOne (read)) (setq numberTwo (read))(format t "~A plus ~A equals ~A" numberOne numberTwo (+ numberOne numberTwo))))

Here is the error it is giving me: (FORMAT T "Enter a number, press return and enter another number"). [condition type: TYPE-ERROR]

Thanks a bundle. ( I hope the code tags worked.)

It appears you have a superfluous opening parenthesis just before the FORMAT call:

(defun adder ()
  (format t "Enter a number, press return and enter another number")
  (setq number-one (read))
  (setq number-two (read))
  (format t "~a plus ~a equals ~a" number-one number-two (+ number-one number-two)))

Also, more tips for Lisp programming:

-Remember that the REPL automatically changes all S-expressions to upper case; leave capital letters out of variable names and out of FORMAT directives - "~a" for example.

-Format your code nicely - it makes it SO much easier to read (for everyone, most of all yourself).

EDIT: I also just noticed, something (silly me).

(defun adder ()
  (format t "Enter a number, press return and enter another number")
  (setq number-one (parse-integer (read)))
  (setq number-two (parse-integer (read)))
  ...)

Note the use of PARSE-INTEGER.

Also, which Lisp implementation are you using? I haven't seen SETQ used outside of lexical bindings in a while (unless you're using Scheme, or a REALLY old implementation; pre-Common Lisp).

One little sneaky parenthesis can cause a lot of pain in LISP. You solved my problem. Thanks.

I could not implement the parse-integer, it gave me a type error.

Also, the other tips were helpful. They have made the rest of my homework look much better as well.

I am using Common-Lisp I am using International Allegro CL Free Express Edition 8.0 as my editor. Maybe the instructor is just old-school. This is my first introduction to LISP.

The READ function will return a lisp object just like the representation in your code, but PARSE-INTEGER only takes strings. You probably want to use READ-LINE instead, which returns only strings.

You're very welcome, dmmckelv. :)

azimuth0: Thanks for the additional info - I've never used READ, and just assumed it returned any expression as a string type, and not the entire line. Bad call on my part. (My thinking is similar to the difference between INPUT and LINE INPUT in BASIC dialects).

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.